Help me replace the drivers in my 3-way bookshelf speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Sunderland, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Chad Sunderland

Chad Sunderland Stunt Coordinator

Hi, just this past weekend I picked up a pair of these KLH 3-way bookshelves at BestBuy for $20!
    http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...=16&e=11166707
    They actually don't sound too bad for female vocals, but male vocals leave a lot to be desired. I want to replace the drivers, and I need some help! I've never done this before.
    First, the box is sealed, inside the box there are no dividers, it's completely open. There is some type of crossover hot glued to the main speaker connection, I have no idea what type of crossover it is though.
    For drives I am considering the Vifa P21W0-20 8" woofer, the Vifa P13WH00 5" mid, and a Vifa D25AG-35 tweeter. Does this sound like a good matchup?
    Also, should I go ahead and get a crossover, or do you think the current crossover may be ok? If I should get one, can you give me a suggestion? I'm looking at the 3-way's on Parts Express, and I'm not sure if the 375/3000, 500/4000, or the 625/5000 would give me the best performance.
    One more thought...will the cabinet being completely open inside affect the mid? Should it be divided? If so, would a 2-way setup using just the woofer and tweeter give me decent performance? I really don't want to tear the box apart, I am just looking for a cheap and easy sound improvement. Also, these speakers will be used 100% for music. Thanks for any input!
    Chad

2. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

You can't just throw some drivers in a random box with a random cross over and expect it to sound good (it will probably sound worse than what you began with). Speaker design takes many hours of design and many more hours of tweaking to get it 'right'.

If you are going to buy those Vifa drivers, get a box design program and build a box to match the drivers. There are free speaker design programs on the net that will tell you what cross over points you need, and the exact box dimensions.

Check the DIY forum for more info.

3. Chad Sunderland

Chad Sunderland Stunt Coordinator

I know I can't just throw speakers in and go, but I'm not looking for perfection out of this setup either. It's just that I bought these speakers for such a great price that I figured it would be worth it for just the enclosures.

The box has .8 cu ft of internal volume. That looked like a pretty good size for the Vifa woofer in a sealed enclosure to me.

The 2 things that really have me stumped are the mid, and the crossover. Does the mid need to be sealed off or something, or will it be OK running in the same air space as the woofer? The other thing is the crossover...these seem like pretty popular drivers, so I was hoping someone could direct me to a crossover that would work well for me. Will box size affest what crossover I should use too???

Also, I've looked around at a few of the speaker design programs, but there are so many of them! Could anyone point me in the direction of some that would be good for someone who is new to this, and doesn't need countless options? Thanks
    Chad