Help me propose marriage...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Alan Erceg, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Alan Erceg

Alan Erceg Stunt Coordinator

Some of you may have remember a while back me posting about buying an engagment ring for my g/f and all of that good stuff...etc.

I'm finally ready to pop the questions...but to be honest I dont know how to do it. I know of all the traditional ways, but I want to do something special..

Give me some ideas...Im having a creative block..lol

Thanks
    Alan

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Well, what does she like? My wife collects my little ponies. When I proposed to her, I manged to find a my little pony bride, still new in it's box. The pony came with a plastic ring, but I cut that out of the box with an X-Acto knife, and put my wife's ring in there. I gave her the My Little Pony as a birthday gift, and it took her a minute to process that My Little Ponies didn't come with diamond engagement rings [​IMG] She said yes, and now we're married. The pony is still in the box, although the plastic ring has been returned to it.

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Well one little advice, don't do it at gun or knife point...[​IMG]

Telling her with a new year you'd like to start a new life, and life as it is with her now is dull, then hit her with the question, she won't know what hit her. By the way congrats.

4. Alan Erceg

Alan Erceg Stunt Coordinator

The only thing she really collects, are Frogs, yes frogs. I dont know how to incorporate that.

I was thinking about this earlier and I thought of a way that would be nice/romantic at the same time.

I live just outside of Pittsburgh..I could take her downtown go up the incline to Mt Washington, have a nice dinner then propose after dinner on Mt Washington while overlooking the nightline of Pittsburgh...

That just may work..lol

5. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Go to the nearest Asian shop and get her one of those money frogs. They're little carved wooden or stone frogs that can hold a coin in it's mouth (I think they're supposed to bring prosperity as long as there's a coin present). Instead of a coin, put the ring in its mouth.

6. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Hm...with frogs I tend to think Kermit the frog. If she's a muppet fan, maybe you can find a way to work in kermit and Miss Piggy. Although maybe she wouldn't like to be compared to a pig...[​IMG]

7. Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse Stunt Coordinator

8. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Well here is what I did last year when I proposed.

I got to her house before she woke up. I had purchased about 20 roses. Quietly sliped into her bedroom, put roses on her bed, and other roses in a trail to lead out to the living room. I waited till she woke up and she followed the roses out to where I was sitting and I had tied the ring to the last rose that was sitting next to me. She saw the ring finally and I proposed.

Everyone always does the evening or afternoon proposal. I wanted to do a morning proposal to be a bit different and creative. I did have a key to her place and she is a deep sleeper so I could sneek around without her waking up. This will not work if she is not a deep sleeper or has fears of someone breaking in, you might get a wack over the head in that case.

Just think about it some and something creative will come soon enough.

9. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

How about a variation on the old children's tale?

Have her meet you in a public place where there's people around. My choice would be a park where there's a pond or a fountain where you can wait for her. (If this isn't possible, just do it at a really nice and expensive restaurant, preferably one with a fountain or some kind of water-related interior decoration and make sure to get a table next to it. Let her arrive first and be seated at the table alone.)

Dress up as a hideous frog, I'm sure you can rent a costume somewhere. Walk (or hop) up to her and demand to be kissed (it would be even better if she didn't recognize you at first). When she finally does kiss you just to get it over with and to avoid prolonging the embarrassment you're causing, get out of the costume looking like a prince (wear your best suit or rent a tuxedo together with the frog outfit) and present her with the ring on your knees. Make a short speech explaining that since she, the princess, now kissed you, you'll always belong to her if she'll have you etc. You're sure to gather lots of attention at first and some applause after you've proposed.

Have someone covertly videotape the whole event candid-camera style. (The edited videotape could use Peter Gabriel's "Kiss That Frog" as background music.) Show the tape at the wedding reception on a large-screen TV or front projector.

10. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    When I proposed, I turned it into an all-day event.

Like Jon, I used roses. First, before she left for work, I stopped by her house and placed a single rose, a little lovey-dovey note, and rose petals on her car. When she got to work, she emailed me her gushing praises. Later, I went by her work (I had her boss as an accomplice) and while she was conveniently called away to her boss' office, placed a second rose, note, and petals on her desk. Before I had returned to work, she text-messaged me more happy thoughts. Finally, I left work early and (knowing where she keeps the spare key) left a trail of rose petals from the front door to the bed, where the 3rd rose and note were placed. I waited patiently outside, hidden from view. After she had time to find the rose and note, I waited outside the front door. She came down the stairs in tears, opened the door and that's where I knelt, presented the last rose (with the ring placed on top) and proposed.

Probably the best part was that when I snuck into her place, I was able to chill some champagne and have everything ready to go.

Regardless of what you do, it will be a complete success if you just keep in mind that no matter what, don't hold back any of your feelings. If ever there is a time to just go for broke - THAT'S it.

Good luck, Romeo.

-Jason

11. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Well my wife does not even remember anything that I said to her other than will you marry me. I did a little speech before I actually asked her, all on one knee, and she does not remember a bit of it. Just always, always remember to get down on one knee no matter how you decide to do it.

12. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Jon,

I know exactly what you mean. I just proposed to my fiancee in October in New Zealand. We were on top of Mt. Sunday, which is where they filmed Edoras from Lord of the Rings. Just a beautiful location. I have to admit, neither of us remember word for word what I said, just the answer. [​IMG] So, my advice to Alan would be concentrate more on making it unique than what you're going to say.

13. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I smuggled the engagement ring into Paris and popped the question outside a famous restaurant there ....we ended up in Harry's Bar and when my wife told some Shell Oil Bigshots we just got engaged they started buying us $20 Martinis .....the rest was a blur
    Make sure you make it memorable and get the free drinks!