Help me position my speakers puleese

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robertto, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Robertto

Robertto Stunt Coordinator

So this is a pic of my set-up:
    http://images.fotki.com/v1/photos/1/...SCF1256-vi.jpg
    Which has changed a little bit since this photo was taken. Now there is a component stand to the right of the tele with the right main about 3inches off the stand.
    There is also a sub directly in back of stand (which is not pictured and directly to the right of tele).
    Picture is taken from my viewing position with my rears in back of me on opposing sides of the room diagonally facing in.
    My main problem is well my mains the left hand main is a bit closer to me then the right and both are obviously off ctr. Plus since the right main sits almost directly in front of the sub some of the sound coming from is is muffled out by the lows coming from the sub.
    Would it be a good idea to move the right main to the far right of the room? I really don't want to re-position the TV (view of NYC would be ruined) :-(.
    Any thoughts recos would be great, Thanks!

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

The picture is too dark to see anything.

It is hard to obtain an ideal set-up in a real room--one not dedicated/designed for home theater. It sounds like the sub is in a bad location. Remember that you can put the sub almost anywhere, as low bass is mostly omnidirectional and difficult to locate. Have you experimented with moving the sub around?

Due to room constraints, my mains are not perfectly spaced either. I compensated for this when I calibrated with AVIA by adjusting the volumes so that I get the same SPL from each speaker. Have you calibrated your set-up yet?

3. Robertto

Robertto Stunt Coordinator

No and no, Not too many places to put a 12 inch sub in my place unfortunately. And I do need to pick up AVIA is it only mail order? Brick and mortor place like Bestbuy or Cirquit City sell it?

I plan on experimenting a bit this weekend.

Thanks!

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

BestBuy does carry AVIA and Video Essentials, but you can find it cheaper on the net. DeepDiscountDVD has it for $35.96 with free delivery.