Help me please

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RyanCai, Mar 8, 2004.

1. RyanCai

RyanCai Extra

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this Home Theater Forum & hardly have any knowledge of speakers. So if anyone can help me, i will be very greatful.

I have a room that's 18'7 x 11'9. I only have $2000 to spend on speakers/subwoofer/receiver. I was planning to buy those cube Bose but heard too many negative feedback here. What about those Anthony Gallo's Micro Nucleus?

If you can suggest a good setup for $2000. We will mainly use this for watching movies.

2. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Do a little homework and use the search engine and you may find what you're looking for. There are lots of possiblilities for $2000. I'd go to a retailer I trust and look around. Listen to what they have and try and form an opinion on the type of sound you like. Were you looking at Bose due to sonic or space considerations?

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

If you're looking for small speakers, look at the Hsu Ventriliquist setup or the Klipsch Quintets. Add an SVS or Hsu subwoofer to either of these and a decent reciever and you could come in well under your budget and have a system that is many times better than bose.

4. RyanCai

RyanCai Extra

Like i said my knowledge of speakers is laughable. I thought Bose were the best speakers around *Hides in shame*

Can you name some good speakers & ill do research on them.

thanks

5. AndrewA

AndrewA Stunt Coordinator

Try looking into Paradigms. They have a fantastic line from top to bottom, then get yourself an SVS sub as already mentioned.

Are you limiting yourself on cubes/small speakers for a particular reason?

6. Tony Genovese

7. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

You could get the Paradigm Atoms* (6), with a CC-170 center, a PDR-10, and then some 7.1 receiver, for around $1600 USD or less altogether. That would be a great sounding system.

* These are one of the best "bang for your buck* speakers out there. They aren't the best for music without the subwoofer helping them, but for HT, they really kick a$$.

I had this very system before I upgraded to the Paradigm Studio Series and they were outstanding. I'd suggest this to anyone.

8. RyanCai

RyanCai Extra

Thanks to everyone for helping so far.

I know lots of people don't like Bose here but....
    I have a pair of Bose 901's, do you know what combonation of speakers that will work with these to get a good 5.1 surround sound?

9. Tony Genovese

Why not ask Bose what they recommend to go with the 901s? They are a very unusual speaker with a very unusual dispersion pattern. I think the manufacturer will give you the best advice.