Help me please.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Omard., Jul 8, 2003.

1. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

2. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

Sorry the pic is so small.

3. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

4. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    You might want to give us a complete room lay out drawing, Is that corner the only place for the RPTV to be placed in the room?
    In your present picture I would bring your L/R speakers closer to the tv and angle them so they are pointing strait at the main seating sweet spot. But I would really look harder at a completely different set up config in the room.

Wes

5. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

I'm with Wes. At the very least, try to move the speakers so they aren't too far in front of the screen, and they point more "straight out" to the listening position. But corners are hard to work with. I'd think about moving the setup to a different wall if possible.

6. sean_pecor

sean_pecor Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the corner is not an ideal location although it may be the only option for your room. It makes it difficult to place your surround speakers in a balanced way.

I have the same TV and find that a 9 foot viewing distance (eyeball to screen) is the best compromise between TV and DVD viewing. Your seating looks a bit farther than that, maybe 12 feet, which suggests to me that it may be possible to move the TV out of the corner and onto that wall on the left?

Your room looks very nice, but audio would be very "blurry" and you might consider adding some room treatments like rugs, some diffusers on the walls (panels, paintings, etc). By blurry, I mean that sound waves traveling from your speakers will hit you directly, but also bounce off the floor, the ceiling, the glass table etc. Your corner placement likely increases the number of reflections by an order of magnitude. The end result is that the same sound hits you at dozens of spaced out intervals. One might hit you at 0.001 seconds, the next at 0.003 seconds, the next at 0.006 seconds. Doesn't sound like a big deal right? Well, our brains are pretty sensitive instruments. It's like looking at a photo that is just a little out of focus; the blur is quite subtle but your brain can tell it's not as crispy as it should be. If you're watching a scene where someone is standing out in a big grassy field, their voice will sound like someone standing in an auditorium and your brain will not reconcile this very well. My understanding is that you need a more neutral setting, a good balance between reflection and absorption.

Hope this helps,

Sean.

7. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

This is a better pic of the area. http://images.snapfish.com/337%3A%3A...3%3C7%3Cnu0mrj . The room is 14' from window to window and 15' or so from the wall to the door but a total of 28' or so from one wall to the other wall. This room is a living room dining room combo so I only have the 14x15 to work with. The sofa is 14 feet long that is the main problem. Would it be a good idea to put he sofa in front of the window and the tv in front of the other window? What can I use to block out the sun from behind the blinds?