Help me please----In regards to building permits

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne A, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Wayne A

Wayne A Agent

I talked to my wife about building a HT in the basement. Right now the previous owner had paneling down there. All I want to do is to remove the paneling and put drywall instead. Does anybody think I need a building permit?

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I wouldn't think there would be a problem with exchanging panelling for drywall. I'm sure your municipality just has the space recorded for square-footage sake rather than keep track of materials used.

3. Ross_Henderson

Ross_Henderson Auditioning

You are best to give your city or county permits department a call. Here, you are required to have an inspection for drywall and framing for home remodeling. If there was no drywall before, and you are installing it for the first time, they may want to inspect. They would be looking for proper stud spacing/electrical prior to drywall and then appropriate number of screws prior to mudding.

They may want to see plans for special HT framing since it is not "normal" house framing and drywall. Part of their jobs is to ensure property values don't get negatively impacted by botched jobs. Best advice, act naive and friendly and make them feel as if they are helping you with good advice.

Also, your insurance company may want an inspection. What happens if your house burns down and they trace it to something you did that required a permit and inspection??? Give your agent a call.

Of course, I would hazard a guess most persons don't check...

4. RossB

RossB Extra

Around here (in Alberta Canada) you only need a permit if you are adding a room or changing the structure. If you are putting in a theater though you will want to give some thought to beefing up the electrical system, especially the power for the tv/sterio and perhaps more lighting. although the electical is quite straight forward you really want to get a permit. I expect the building permit and electrical permits are separate.

also if you are just replacing the paneling with drywall you might consider putting the drywall over the panneling. The drywall is reasonable good at sound proofing but having another material behind it kinda disperses the sound better...and you don't have to chuck the pannelling

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor