What's new

Help me pickout some speakers please (1 Viewer)

Brian E

Screenwriter
Ok, I just ordered a PIONEER VSX-D709S from Refurb Depot for $241.66 shipped w/ 3 year warranty. Great deal, I think.

Now I'm going to need some speakers to go with it.

I figure I can go two ways (I think so anyway). 1) I can spend the remaining $400 or so (maybe up to $600) I intend to spend right now on a full set including sub. or 2) I can use the fronts from my current DPL bookshelf setup (Aiwa 150W, 3 Way, 6ohm SX-NAV900) as surrounds and get nicer fronts (Bookshelves, no towers), center and a small sub.

I'm looking for suggestions. I've been looking at stuff by Axiom and it looks nice (not that I know what I'm looking at). I also know about the JBL N-Series deal for $250. I really don't even know what to look for in speakers for sure.

My room is what I would call very small (12' x 14') so I don't think I need a huge sub or anything. It would be nice to get some mains that will be real nice for music too, but my main purpose is movies.

I appreciate any advice anyone can give.

Thanks!

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
I've not heard teh Axioms so I can't comment, but the JBL NSP-1's are as advertised putting those with the PB-10 sub, and I would also rate highly the AR HC6 setup as well as the Energy Take 5.2 w/sub. No lose anyway you look at it.

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
I use Axiom 22ti SE's for my surround speakers. When I hooked them up as my mains they sounded great. Not as full as the 80's but it made me wonder if I placed too much value on a tower speaker.

Brian E

Screenwriter
How are these? Mains, Center
I guess my main problem when looking is that I don't know what a good frequency response is or what to look for in Crossover Freq & Sensitivity.

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
I would say that the NSP-1's are great for music with the following statement "in their class". They are an unbelievable value. Are they $800 tower speakers good for music, of course not, but they can stand on their feet for music all day long. I've got mine on the way and I ordered them after hearing them at a friend's in a larger room than you speak of. I think part of their charm is that it's hard to believe all that sound comes out of those little bad boys.

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
It all depends on what you want. I think the idea of getting a quality front stage and using some sort of junk speakers as surround is a great idea. This can give you good stereo music as well. Furthermore, when you get more money, you can buy matching towers and move the bookshelf speakers to surround duty.
This is precisely what I did, even using Aiwa speakers!
What brands can you listen to? Aegis, which gets very little mention around here is good stuff. Also I was impressed with the PSB Alpha A/V, now discontinued you can pick up a pair for $169 at www.yawaonline.com. I would stay away from their sub because it is really expensive for an 8 inch driver. You could always get the Sony sa-wm40, it is very popular in the budget line up for under $150 with a pricematch ususally.
Your sub does not need to be the same brand as your speakers. For that matter, the rears don't have to be the same brand either unless you listen to DVD-A or SACD. Of course it helps in overall sound if they are, but in a pinch it will be ok. However, the front 3 do really need to be the same.
With $400-$600 for the front 3 you have a wealth of options. My suggestion is go demo lots. Tell the dealer you are just getting in to home theater and will be purchasing far more in the near future. (It helps in negotiating :) ) Also read up lots before making that first purchase. Buyer's remorse is awful.
Another note: I just noticed you have over 500 posts. Sorry to treat you like a newbie, didn't realize it. :b But I had typed all this already, so i figured why not just submit it anyway.
Jon

Brian E

Screenwriter
Another note: I just noticed you have over 500 posts. Sorry to treat you like a newbie, didn't realize it. But I had typed all this already, so i figured why not just submit it anyway.
When it comes to hardware I'm about as "newbie" as it gets.

I guess at this point if someone could explain to me, or point me to a good site that explains, what a good frequency response is or what to look for in Crossover Freq & Sensitivity I'd be better set for doing my research.

Thanks

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator
I just recently purchased the Axiom M3Ti(fronts), VP100(center), QS4(surrounds), and EP125(sub). For the money, these are some of the best speakers I have ever heard. You might want to look at http://www.axiomaudio.com. You can buy from them directly. Or I would call Marc at http://www.audioshop.on.ca/axiom.htm and see what he can do. His prices are in Canadian dollars so with the exchange rate you get a great deal. Depending on your room size if you go with an Axiom Sub I would go with the EP175 or EP350. I wish I would have. Other than the sub being a little small I love my speakers. I know you only have $400 to spend so you can get the M3Tis and the VP100 for under that cost. Hope this helps.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I know you only have $400 to spend so you can get the M3Tis and the VP100 for under that cost. Hope this helps.
I've actually been considering these very speakers. I'm thinking these with a Sony SA-WM40 Sub. Are there any other good "budget" subs out there to consider.

I also have an offer for 4 HTD Level III's along with the matching center for $400 used, so I'm considering those.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i was gonna say HTD, but you beat me there! i think their Level II system would do you well. Axiom and PSB are also excellent values.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
For the Sony WM40, you can't find a better sub for $150. I bought one about 3 weeks ago and I love it. It definately will shake the walls. ;)
Paul

Brian E

Screenwriter
Wow, I was just looking at the Swans by Diva http://www.av123.com man are they nice looking (and nice sounding from what I'm reading). I wouldn't mind getting a pair of those 2.1's for my mains for now and then upgrading to 4.1's when funds allow and moving the 2.1's to rears. The only problem is that the darn center is $500! It's best if the front and center match right? Time to reevaluate the budget I guess. Their 4.1, 2.1, C-1 package deal sure looks good. Or am I going overboard? Is this way to much for a room the size of mine?
Again, can someone tell me what a good frequency response is or what to look for in Crossover Freq & Sensitivity.
Thanks!

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Brian,
Generally I stay out of the speaker threads becuse these things are so subjective. That said, I suppose giving ppl a place to start is OK. You mentioned the Divas. I've got some experience with those and I can safely say that they should at least be on your list to check out. I've A/B'd the Axiom M3Ti vs the Diva 2.1...I preferred the Diva (they are most expensive though). I also have heard the Paradigm S60's vs the 6.1 and again went for the Diva. YMMV. You also mentioned the center...It is expensive, but it is nice. That 2" dome mid is killer in center duty. Check out the link in my sig for some pictures...keep in mind, I never have the room that bright...in fact the blinds were broken and I didn't know it...took me a while to get them open to take the pics :)
You really should try and listen to some of the speakers you are looking at if at all possible. Over at AVS, I think Khuzad in Woodburg, EJ in Minne, Jeffrey Forner in Chaska and Tooniverse in Golden Valley have at least one pair of Divas. I mention the city names becuse I don't know MN.
can someone tell me what a good frequency response is or what to look for in Crossover Freq & Sensitivity.
What you are looking for is a flat frequency response. You want all the sound to be the same volume.
Crossovers: If you are referring to the high pass XO for your mains, that frequency will be different for different speakers. You can use the THX standard of 80Hz usually though. For example, the Diva 6.1's are -3dB @ 27Hz. My general rule (my opinion only) is to take the F3 point (F3 = -3dB) of the speaker and high pass it @ one octave above. So, the 6.1 with it's 27Hz F3 would get a 60Hz XO since we rounded up to 60 because you aren't generally going to find a 54Hz XO :)
Sens: If a speaker is 89db @ 1Watt/1Meter, that means it only takes one watt of power to make the speaker produce 89 decibels at 1 meter away.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I was at Best Buy today looking at DVDs so I thought what the hell, I might as well check out some speakers. I looked at stuff like Sony SSMF600H's and Yamaha NS-A100XT's since I think I'm now going to want floor standing speakers in front. They sounded really good to me. Are these speakers generally considered crap when compared to other companies, or is it felt they hold there own? I also went to two audio shops over the weekend, but no one wanted to help me, so I won't be buying there.

I guess what I'm wanting to know is, is my thought that these sounded really good a product of inexperience with better speakers or are they decent speakers?

I also listened to the NSP-1's and didn't care for them as much.

Can someone tell me what kind of sensitivity I should be looking for, or does it matter?

Thanks!

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
My experience with speakers in Best Buy is that mostly everything sounds good. When I went there even the Bose sounded decent. I don't know what it is, but somehow crappy stuff sounds ok. For the price that Best Buy is selling those Sony's and Yamaha speakers you could get something much better. I don't think I would ever buy speakers from Best Buy, but thats just my .02. I'm sure the speakers from Best Buy are decent, but you could do alot better for the price.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Brian -

I look at BB every now and then just to see what's up in the world, and some cat was blasting Dr Dre on those Yammy towers - - The midrange was pounding like a passive radiator...I don't think it should be coupled to the woofers like that. You can do better. Skip the center for now if you have to.

What audio joint did you go to? Audio King? Check out the Klipsches and Bostons, and the Def Techs there.

Sound Center? Look at the BW 303's. Nice speaker. A pair of those are

Brian E

Screenwriter
I don't know what it is, but somehow crappy stuff sounds ok.
What I need to know is what make them "crappy"? I'm trying to make the right decision, but crappy doesn't tell me much. Could someone elaborate?

Colin,

Thanks for the input. I'll try and check out Sound Center tomorrow, I forgot about them. Didn't know about the other two you mentioned, but I might have to go and look. I went to Audio King and lets just say it wasn't a nice experience, I may try another one or I may not. Seems like every time I've gone in there they're watching people as they come in the door trying to size up who's worth helping, ie going to drop a bundle and who can only afford their lower end stuff. It's funny, after reading the reviews on AudioReview I was thinking maybe I should get the Sony SS-MF600H's at BB then I come back here and I'm not so sure what I'm going to look at. I do think I want towers in the front now, but we'll see I guess.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I think the Sony's are a bit better than the Yam's. I just don't like the looks, and I like bookshelf speaks.

The Sony's aren't heavy enough to make me feel good about them. Funny, but true. Besides, for $200 I have a pair of NHT SuperOnes, and I don't think BB can match the quality at any price.

Take your time. Remorse sux, and you'll live with these things for a while. Screw the salesmen. You don't go there to make friends. If they ignore you, get in their faces. I went into AK and they blew me and my pal right off. Fine. We needed time to discuss the finer points of loudspeaker manufacturing, no interuptions. The only time I called him over was when we wanted to make the purchase, and we made HIM jump through the hoops, price-matching speaker cable and stands with the competition across the street.

"What's a guy gotta do to get some service??" gets you all kinds of help, but it'd be appropriate to buy something after you make a scene.

Have fun, be patient, bring your own music, and flatten the tone controls!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread