Help me pick out a new VCR!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveSpoon, Apr 23, 2002.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

My current VCR is starting to give me problems, so I feel it's time to upgrade. Don't want to sink that much money into one. Just looking for your basic HI-FI deck with inputs on the front. Anything still out there under 150 bucks still made in Japan? Or have those days come and gone? Thanks a lot.

Steve

2. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I'm at work and can't recall the model #, but I just bought a Sony Hi-Fi with line-jacks in the front for $130 at Best Buy. It's a big one, matching the width of my other components.

3. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I just bought a Mitsubishi HSU 448 for $89 and am suprisingly happy with it. Hi-Fi, front inputs and super-fast rewind. The recording quality is actually far superior than the cheapo JVC it replaced.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I would spend $50 more & get the JVC S-VHS vcr model 7800 for $199.99 from Crutchfield. Do a search on it & you will get a lot of info on this JVC model.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I second Bill's suggestion!!!!!!

6. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

What is the opinion on the Mitsubishi SVHS decks these days?

Years ago the U65/67/69 and earlier 80 series were considered by many the best of the consumer decks. Are the current 747/776 in the same class with those older decks.

My better half has worn the heads off the EP speed (I think) over the past 4 years of rather heavy use (20-30 hours per week of timeshifting and commercial skipping). The SP stuff still looks and records great, but EP is unwatchable due to sparkles/wavy pictures. Any idea of what it might cost to fix the U67 that exhibits this behavior?

7. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I've got a Mitsu HR-S770 that works great, but I paid $280 for 2 years ago. I got it to replace a JVC 4500 that was constantly in for repairs.

8. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

The JVC 7800 SVHS is a steal at CRUTCHFIELD for $199

I highly recommend it!

9. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

I am such an idiot. Couldn't wait any longer, so went to Walmart and picked up a new VCR. Plugged it in, and the left channel started cutting out just like my Panasonic!!!!!

What a numnut.....being I run half way decent cables, I didn't even bother to check the cables. You know it, the cable is bad!!!! Well, the Daewoo in the basement truely is on its last legs, so guess I needed another one, anyway.

I do have a track record of overlooking the obvious, so this doesn't really surprise me. Typical.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions on a new deck.

Steve

10. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Irritating problems with some VCR's:
    1. When you do "program review" to see what shows it is set up to record, it advances the display to the next one before you can read what it says on the screen.
    WHich means, if you hit delete because you no longer want to record some show, it might delete the wrong show because it advanced all by itself just before you hit delete.
    2. It takes a long time to program the start of a show you want to record particularly if it is about 12 hours away from the time you are doing the programming and you have to wait while it counts off the hours and minutes.
    3. If you want to modify something, for example change just the start time for recording 60 Minutes just this week when there is a football game, you have to wipe out the programming and start over.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm