Help me pick out a new 16x9 HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trevor H, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

I am looking to get a 16x9 HDTV, it must be between 55"-65", what brand and model# should I get and why? (any and all advise will be greatly appreciated)
    Some of the models I am considering are listed below
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95
    Panasonic PT-56WX51
    Hitachi 61SWX01W
    Hitachi 55DMX01W
    Toshiba 65H80
    Toshiba 56H80
    Zenith IQB64W10W
    Zenith IQB56W10G
    ------------------
    Trevor Harder
    My HT Page
    [email protected]

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I went with the 65H80 and I dont regret it. I did not look at the other manufacturers you have posted but I looked at the Mits, Pioneer and Sony. The Pioneer Elite looked better than all of them and then after that I liked the Toshiba then the Mits and the Sony was last. I was surprise about the Sony's picture considering that I am a big Sony fan and all of my components are made by Sony, except for my HD receiver, I went with the Toshiba one there too because I read so much bad stuff about the Sony HD STB. Good luck on what ever you decide.
    ------------------
    Juan

3. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

4. David Meek

David Meek Extra

Even though it's not on your list, give this one a look: I picked up the Pioneer Pro Elite 610 (58") after looking a bunch of RPTV's. It and the 710 (65") had the best OOTB picture of all the RPTV's I auditioned, along with the best looking cabinet fit and finish. I am extremely pleased with the unit. However, they are higher priced than comparably-sized other brands.
    ------------------
    David
    Our Theater
    Our DVDs on DVDTracker
    [Edited last by David Meek on September 13, 2001 at 01:12 PM]
    [Edited last by David Meek on September 13, 2001 at 01:13 PM]

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

How much are you looking to spend? If you have $10K then go with a CRT based front projection system. If you can spend $7K look into the Pioneer Elite RPTVs, If your budget is under $5K take a look at the Pioneer non-Elites RPTVs or the Toshiba 57H81/57HX81.
    You could also look into the Mitsubishi Diamond 55908/65908 sets, but IMO the Toshiba and Pioneer sets are every bit as good (if not better) and they cost considerably less. Certainly the line doublers in the Tosh and Pioneer sets are better than the Mits.
    ------------------
    Dan

6. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

Dan,
    I would like to keep the price below $10K, so a good front projector and screen are out for me, I would like to check out a Mitsubishi but they don't sell them here in Canada [​IMG]
    Abdul,
    My local dealer has been trying to get me to buy the 64" Zenith (I could get it for a pretty good deal because I buy all my HT gear from him) I'm just not sure about spending that much cash on a "Zenith"
    Anybody else have any thoughts on the Zenith?
    ------------------
    Trevor Harder
    My HT Page
    [email protected]

7. Jim Christian

Jim Christian Stunt Coordinator

8. MickB

MickB Agent

I agree with evrything Dan Driscoll wrote. I own a Pioneer SD582 it is the non-elite model. Excellent picture with DVD or HDTV. I will be getting it ISF'd next week and expect an even better picture.

9. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

What are your opinions on the Zenith IQD61W20 and the Hitachi 61SWX10B ?
    I have bought all my HT gear from the same salesman for years now, so I get really great deals from him but this limits my choice of brands to: Hitachi, Zenith, Panasonic, Sony, RCA, & JVC so any suggestions of models from these brands would really help me.
    ------------------
    Trevor Harder
    My HT Page
    [email protected]

10. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator