What's new

Help me pick an Axiom system (1 Viewer)

Chad Sunderland

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I'm looking at upgrading my speakers, and I'm pretty much set on Axioms from reading rave reviews, and after seeing there great prices. I'm in a small town in central PA, and I have nowhere to audition many brands of speakers. My only options around here are Circuit City and Best Buy. I've had my HT setup for less than a year, and I'm running small Cerwin Vega speakers now, and I've never heard many high end speakers, so I'm pretty sure I'll be very happy going to Axioms from what I have now.

I THINK right now I'm going to go with the M60ti's for fronts, the M80ti's look very nice...but an extra $300 is getting pretty steep. Has anyone auditioned these 2 speakers side by side? What are your opinions...are the M80's that much better sounding than the M60's?

For surrounds...what would be best? The QS8 is what they have in there "package" deals. Is this the best choice, or would something like an M22 bookshelf make an even better surround?

For the center, I'm pretty much set on the 150, is this the right choice...or would something like the 100 suit better?

Also...for now I'm keeping the Cerwin sub until my funds recover from this purchase. In the future I also would like to upgrade to 6.1, when I do this...do i want another surround speaker, or do I want a center speaker?

Right now everything is going to be run off of a Yamaha HTR-5460. I also have about a 50/50 listening between movies and music. Thanks for any suggestions!

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Chad,
I have the Epic Master system, which is a "couple notches" below the setup you're contemplating, and I absolutely love it.
I think the M-60's would be awesome (M-80's are the top Axiom speakers, but make sure your receiver can handle 4 ohm speakers), and I recommend the bipole QS surrounds (either the 4 or 8) over the M22 (direct radiator) due to their forgiving placement and the enveloping sound they produce.
I love my VP100 center, but the VP150 is their top of the line center channel. If you're going with the M-60/80's, the QS4/8's, then go for the 150 as well. Add a sub (I have Axiom's EP175) and you'll have a rocking system.
You can make the same post on Axiom's website forum and get a lot of great information as there are those who have the speaker set-up you're thinking about. Check them out at: Axiom Message Board . Post the dimensions of your room so others have an idea of what the size is in order to give you some better advice.
Good luck!

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
Whatever you decide to do, order your system from Canada instead of axiom and save yourself some money...

I have 2-80's 1-vp150, and 2-22's

I think it sounds fantastic... I believe the speakers are actually 6 ohm instead of the 4 that is published...

Bry_DD

Second Unit
I dont think you'll be disappointed with the M60 adn Vp150. I have the M60 adn Vp150 run by denon 3801 with my svs25-31cs on the LFE And everytime I crank them up I always have a big smile on me:D :emoji_thumbsup:
I'm just wondering how much can you save if you purchase them from Audioshop compare direct from Axiom?

Chad Sunderland

Stunt Coordinator
BRIAN AM: What do you mean by order from Canada instead of Axiom? I have been looking at the speakers at axiomaudio.com. Where else can I get these speakers? I haven't seen them for sale anywhere else. Thanks

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
You can also order them from Canadian dealers, such as Audioshop. Just keep in mind that you might not be saving as much as you think. When you order from Axiom, you get free 2-day FedEx shipping, and you also have a 30-day return period. The return period is a pretty important point if you're buying speakers that you've never heard before, IMHO.

Jason Co

Second Unit
If you guys want to buy Axioms there is one guy you should talk to. Marc Hallam at Audioshop is your man. I bought my setup sight unseen from Marc and couldn't be happier. The only possible drawback I can think of is that if you order them from Axiom directly the have a 30 day money back guaranty. Marc was very personable, professional and an all around good guy which is kinda rare these days.
FYI my setup is m50s up front, Qs4 surrounds and vp150 center. I also have a sony wm40 sub (which I am going to upgrade to an svs hopefully.
Here is Marc's phone number and e-mail, if you have any questions at all I would not hesitate to call him.
Marc Hallam
Audioshop
685 Bank St.
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada
K1S 3T8
Phone:613-233-2215
http://www.audioshop.on.ca
Good luck,
Jason

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second Jason's advice. I bought my M60's, VP150, QS8's and EP175 from Marc at Audioshop. I also bought my Axioms without ever hearing them. Jason even steered me in the right direction in the beginning. Marc showed a tremendous amount of patience with a newbie like me. He answered some questions twice. He'll save you money and also give plenty of needed advice. He even allowed me to use my shippers discount. How often does this happen in the online business? Let us know what you decide. Hey Jason...can you help me get this stuff hooked up?

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
Chad:

I saved approximately $400 off the price of new speakers by ordering from Audioshop....

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
really said:
Probably not, mounting would be akward. For a single back channel I'd recommend a QS8 or bookshelf; for a 7.1 setup with 2 back channels many would recommend direct-radiating bookshelf-type speakers. I went with a QS8 for my single back speaker in my 6.1 setup, because the back speaker is considerably closer to the couch and I wasn't quite as worried about the bass extension since the center back isn't as critical as the surrounds.
Hope this helps,

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
I'm another happy customer (service & advice) of Marc at Audioshop, and I saved $200 on my Epic Master system. While prices on the Axiom site are very good, I didn't feel the need to have the security of sending everything back if I didn't like it. I was able to get my system at prices that were at or slightly below Axiom's factory outlet deals. No second thoughts at all...

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Jeff on the QS8's, if you have the space to place either the M22 or M3 behind you go with them. If not either the QS8's or for a smaller room the QS4's for rears. Its true the M80's are incredible, but as stated, unless you're in a huge room the M60's would be amazing as well (and cheaper). Go with the VP150, the TWWWT is always better than a WTW alignment.
This system of the M60's, QS8's, VP150 with a combination of factory outlet and factory direct (VP150 isn't available in the factory outlet)would be $1429USD (shipping included). You might want to check out their packages as well, although they incl. subs which you mentioned you were waiting for.

David Head

Second Unit
Chad,
I'd also highly recommend the Axiom speakers ordered from Marc at Audioshop. You can read my review here. I agree with Jeff that the M60s should be plenty and will play louder than I will ever listen to them. If you have the room to place the surround speakers about two feet above and two to three feet behind your listening position, the QS8 is the perfect surround speaker. I have never heard a better surround speaker at any price.
David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks