Help me pick a video card.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

I Have PIII 600 on an Intel Seattle II MoBo. The system has 384MB RAM and a Creative AWE64 Gold sound card, ISA though.

I am currently using an ATI All-In-wonder Pro AGP with 8MB memory and the Rage Pro chipset.

I want smoother DVD playback and less jerkiness when I am playing games. Will the new video adapter help with this?

The thing is I don't know if it worth going for the high end cards such as the Geforce 3, TI-500 or the Radeon 8500 with my system, or just going for a lower cost high value card, such as the original Radeon with 64MB DDR or a MX-400 with 64 MB.

Thanks,

Adam.

2. Roland_Sjouw

Roland_Sjouw Extra

Hi Adam,

I Recently bought some new part for my system and the only thing you have to do is make the overall system fast and not just some parts.

I also Think the video card is the problem so you can buy a

Gforce3 card that will last you 1,5 years or a fast Gforce2 MX400 card which will last you 1 year.

At the moment I have a Abit MX400 card and run the latest games at max resulution, so it does it's job.

And it's only for $80 or something (I live in the Netherlands so I'm not sure about the price)

Roland

3. Richard Cooper

Richard Cooper Stunt Coordinator

Your weakest link certainly seem to be the vidoe card ( I went from an 8mb Rage pro to a Radeon64 ddr vivo a few months ago. VERY big difference [​IMG]). Wether you want to go for a current model (Geforce 3, Radeon8500 etc.) or one generation back (Radeon, Geforce2 etc. ) is really up to you, your buget, and what you use your computer for.

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

For about $199.99 I'd get any of the GeFORCE3Ti200 cards, but I would really look for the VisionTek one as its got a lifetime warranty and is built here in the USA.

5. Jeff_Ace

Jeff_Ace Extra

Goo grab yourself a VisionTek GeForce 2MX400 64MB. You can find one on the internet for around $100.00, also keep an eye on BestBuy and CompUSA (they often have bundle deals). In short, you need to get rid of that 8MB card.

6. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the response guys. I think I may go with the new Geforce 2 TI Vivo which I saw for $119 online. Unlike the G2 Mx400 it has DDR memory, and can be overclocked, to 290 MHz. The price I quoted is for the 64 MB version. What do you think?

Thanks,

Adam