What's new

Help me pick a universal player for audio only use (1 Viewer)

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
The purpose will be SACD/DVD-A playback with the occasional Redbook CD thrown in. Nothing else matters. I currently have a Denon 2200. No real complaints but given the prices of some players on the used market, I'm thinking I can do better for not much money. I'd like to keep it under $500. Currently have the Denon 2900 & Marantz DV7600 on my short list. I've seen Denon 5900's go for near my target price as well. What other players should I be looking at?

-Dave

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Hi Dave,

What's your budget and are you looking new or used? Your 2200 isn't a bad player, but if you want to step up the higher end Denon's are very well regarded for their audio capabilies, as well as some of the Pioneers, especially the DV-59AVi. You could also consider having your 2200 modified.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Since adding a Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD Blu Ray player to my rack, the Denon 2900 has been doing audio only duty. I have thought about upgrading it to a Cambridge Audio, or Cary unit, but the Denon sounds so good to me.
I may send it out and get it "Hot Rodded" by one of the companies doing mod's.

Al. Wise

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I have the Elite79avi which is quite good for SACD & DVDA playback, the price of these should down buy now, as I paid $900 a couple of years ago. I also have the Denon 2200, but the Elite sounds much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks