Help me pick a setup, Vote for one of the setups! Thanks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Stegner, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Scott Stegner

Ready to pull the trigger

Need you to vote and help me decide,
    Use is 80% HT and 20% music

Thanks in advance

Option 1 –VSX-45Tx and add Outlaw 770-7 later (lowest entry cost)

Option 2 – VSX-49Txi

Option 3 – Outlaw 770-7 and Outlaw 950

Option 4 – Outlaw 770-7 and a used Lexicon MC1 (ouch, lots of $, but probably the cleanest sound.)

2. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

None of the above.

Get a cheap throwaway receiver to last you through 2003. Next generation of receivers will have digital connection for hirez audio (DVD-A/SACD) and DVI video switching. Recommend the Denon 3802 - you may wish to wait a few days/weeks until the new 3803 drives the 3802 into closeout pricing. Good luck.

Austin

3. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

the 49txi is a next gen receiver and has a digital connection for hi-rez audio. I don't expect to see DVI switching for another 2 years definetely not next year, it's not on alot of tvs yet and are only on very expensive dvd players, maybe not until they come out with the HD-DVD format. option one or a combo of 49txi and 770 but you'd prolly get better sound with mc-1 but MCACC shouldn't be underestimated.

Daniel Smith

4. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Hi Daniel,

You are correct that the 49TXi is a next generation receiver. Unfortunately it is one of the FIRST nexgens (along with the Denon 5803). I would be very leery of becoming Pioneer's pioneer in this area. Ask the Denon folk that laid out close to $7,000 and still don't have a fully digital link from hirez player to receiver. This unresolved issue also plagues the Pioneer unit. The 1394 hirez link must and will be universal in a very short perod of time. It is not today.

Additionally, 49TXi upgradability questions remain - when, how and why will firmware/software upgrades be generated and released? Finally, the component video switching puts this unit in the past, rather than in the future. DVI is quickly becoming ubiquitous - all the new monitors have it and so do the new STBs (both OTA and DBS). You (the generic) ignore DVI at your peril.

Generally speaking, I feel we're at a point in HD and hirez where everything is just about to break wide open - one of Grove's "inflexion points". The DBS merger, audio and video copy protection, cable HDTV and all the other related issues look to be resolved sometime in 2003. I'd caution waiting if possible. If not, get something temporary until the way forward is illuminated. A year's not that long to wait.

Austin

5. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Well since we dont' know what speakers and what other gear you have this is sort of a shot in the dark scenario. If I were you then I would go with option number one. The 45TX has almost everything you could want in a receiver and it's under $1000. Adding the Outlaw amp is a good idea since you can then replace the 45TX when the time comes (hopefully a long time) with another receiver or a true pre/pro. Good luck.

6. Scott Stegner

Speakers are Swan Diva 6.1, C3, R3,an SVS 16-46 CS+ sub (with a Samson S1000 amp). I am about to add Diva 3.1 rears. Other components are a Kenwood KD-750 turntable, a Burwen transit noise eliminator and a Shibata Stylus (yes I still like my 400+ LP records), Toshiba SD2150 DVD and a high def Dolby Digital Sat receiver and rear projection tv.

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i'd go with option 1. maybe go with Outlaw's 5-channel amp model and get a really nice 2-ch amp for your L/R speakers.

8. TomH

TomH Second Unit

I would stay away from receivers if you plan to go with separates. If the high end receivers meet your needs, and they do for many, go with the 49tx or the 5803. Keep in mind that you will have a huge investment in a single box solution that can never compete with separates. Option 3 is a reasonable cost entry point. You may also want to consider the RSP1066. I rarely ever use the "bells, features and whistles" that attract many to receivers. The basics, (Stereo, 5.1, DTS, DTS-ES and 6.1 EX) coupled with the performance and flexibility of separates is hard to beat.
    Tom