Help me pick a projector....Please.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sean.W, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Sean.W

Sean.W Auditioning

Well ive been doing alot of reading and im still a bit confused on some things. Ill give you my stats and what im wanting from a projector and if you guy could list a few good ones that would be great. First of im up in canada but i do have a quite a few home theatre stores around so hopfully i will be able to find most brands of pjs. My price range is around 2000 US. The room I have is about 12' by 17' I have the space to put the projector up to 25' from the view wall but the max distance i can sit back is 16-17'. Now i want a PJ that can gimme as clear a picture with the HDTV as my 57" sony widescreen.(which is being replaced with the PJ.) Im a little confused as to how to know if a PJ can handle the HDTV or not. I see EDTV and HDTV and am a little lost. I watch tons of movies as well that is what this PJ will be used for mainly. And if someone could recommend some DVD players as well that would be great. Or tell me what to look for in a DVD player.

Thanks Sean.

2. Sean.W

Sean.W Auditioning

Ive decided now to use the TV for the HDTV viewing and to just use the projector for Movie view, with that being said what projector will give me real good quality picture through DVD. I was thinking the infocus 4805? Would the picture be as good as on the rear projection TV.

3. frankinG

frankinG Stunt Coordinator

If you are sitting back from the screen at least 14' or more the infocus 4805 on a 106" screen would give you excellent performance for dvd and HD. No, it is not native HD resolution capable but it would still look great.

Match this up with a Panasonic dvd S97 player outputting 480p resolution through the HDMI to DVI adapter and enjoy.

Best of all the projector is under 1000$.[​IMG]

4. Sean.W

Sean.W Auditioning

The infocus 4805 was at the top of my list until today. I went out and look an alot of projectors some in my budget some way outta my budget, saw some runco or somthing like that. Incredible but i would need to sell my car. But i did see a nice hitachi PJTX100 it seems like a real good projector even for HD. This one is now on the top of my list unless someone says otherwise.

But i do need a new DVD player now. I saw a LG that has 1080 uncoverting, anyone know of this model.

Thanks again.

5. frankinG

Sean: The Hitachi projector you are describing is much more expensive than the infocus. Do you realize that the Hitachi is LCD based and the Infocus is DLP based? You should first get familiarized with the technical advantages of each projector type. Without knowing what direction you want to take and for specific reasons, you will be running in circles. This forum can help you but you must help us first.

The panasonic 'dvd s97' player has the 'genesis' chip which gives this player such good performance. There are many upconverting players around but with cheap prices come cheap performance. The oppo player is highly regarded but in canada the panny is priced at only 299$ cdn.

There are many experienced people on this forum but too many generalized questions will not get you serious responses.

Read some of the reviews on the 'projector reviews' website
    or the 'projector central' website as every possible make and model are discussed and described.Once you have become more informed about projectors and there technical advantages and such, you can then research your findings on the forum.

Best of luck![​IMG]

6. Sean.W

Sean.W Auditioning

Ive done some research on projectors and ive read review before i decied anything. From what i understand about LCD vs DLP when you have a room that you can control the lighing 100 percent it doesnt matter what type of projector you have. Also At first i though DLP was best but most salesmen i talked to prefered LCD for whatever reason. The hitachi is 2400 canadian while the infocus 5000 is 2000 while the 4805 is 1700. If i go with the hitachi i will use it for HDTV as well as DVD. But the other two dont produce true HD. Also I saw a Knoll 102hd but from what i here it is just a duplicate of the 4805. But it says it is HDTV true which i dont really belive.

7. frankinG

The infocus 5000 is 720p just like the hitachi. Same resolution. Same HD capability. The infocus 4805 is not. But remember that the 4805 does other things in the picture quality department better than the previous two. Resolution definetly is not the whole issue here.

The infocus 5000 has a 1200-1 contrast ratio. The panasonic 700 is 2000-1 contrast ratio and is the best LCD projector on the market right now for next to no 'screen door' effect. It has a 2x lens system which will let you place the projector almost anywhere in the room. It is priced right and performs great. It also has the highest bulb life of any lcd unit. 3000hrs high lamp and up to 5000hrs low lamp.Panasonic sells (10) of these for every (one) hitachi does. This is for a reason.

In my opinion if you want the best LCD performance at under 2000$, then the sanyo Z3 is for you.This projector for the price is at the top of my list.

HD capable, 2000-1 contrast ratio, LCD technology, lowest price for these features, fantastic picture.

The 4805 does almost everything right for the lowest price if you want a DLP projector.

8. Dave.S

Dave.S Auditioning

I recently bought a InFocus 5700 after looking at that and the 4805 at a dealer. The picture quality (while viewing at the dealer) was slightly better on the 5700. The brightness of the 5700 was much better, with the 4805 you really needed to watch in total darkness or the picture really looked washed out. With the 5700 you can watch it with some ambient light.

After getting it home the picture quality is great, especially from proper HD TV programs. Although you can watch it with some ambient light (I quite often watch soccer on it during the day and I have lousy blinds), but it is far better with no ambient light.

9. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I don't have advice on which projector to buy, other than to be certain that whatever projector you buy is HDCP compatable. If your projector is not HDCP compatable you will not be able to play any of the coming (whenever) HD discs in HD. To know that the projector you're considering is HDCP compatable, look for an HDMI input. An HDMI input is always HDCP compatable. Alternatively, if the projector has only DVI for its digital input, you must do your research to discover whether it's HDCP compatable or not; it very possibly isn't, especially if you settle on an older model.

What is HDCP? HDCP is short for High Defintion Content Protection. It's the scheme that will be used for both high-def formats, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. For more information, do a search on HDCP.

10. Sean.W

Sean.W Auditioning

The projector i have decided on is the Hitachi PJTX100 ultravision it will work for my HDTV and it is HDCP compatible plus I was having trouble with the DLP and rainbows. So ill let everyone know how it goes i should be getting it this week for the total price of 2400 canadian.

11. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

Am I reading the product description on the 4805 right? This thing really can do 1080p at that price? Seems too good to be true.

12. Sean.W

Sean.W Auditioning

Its not truly doin 1080 its projecting the picture in 480. So it down converts the HD signle to 480 so it can be displayed.

13. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Sorry to throw this in, but take a look at the Optima h27 at Future SShop, it's only $1300, and is native widescreen.

Good reviews too

Brent

14. Sean.W

Sean.W Auditioning

I was looking at the optoma it was my first choice before venturing deeper in to the HT world. If i could have found an optama 33 i probly woulda went with that but i couldnt find any.

15. Milosh Jovic

Milosh Jovic Auditioning

If you are interested in DLP Projectors, Infocus and Optoma are worth looking into, different models depending on your price point. For Sanyo, Hitachi, Panasonic LCDs, let me know, my Projector Store Canada is a sponsor of HTF, so we can work out some kind of a deal if you PM me.

Personally, I own a Panasonic AE900, but today I would go with the Hitachi HDPJ52...unfortunately it wasn't available when I made my decision to upgrade [​IMG].