help me pick a new dvd player for a front projection DLP

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Sean Patrick, May 24, 2004.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

can anyone help me make a quick decision? it's been so long since i've been in the market for a dvd player that I'm overwhelmed by the new offerings....

i've been using a Panny RP91 for a few years on my 16:9 tube and have been pretty happy with it. I needed that particular model for scaling... looks like i'm going to be going front-projection soon and will need to get another dvd player (won't need scaling this time). here's what i need:

a decoder chip that will look good/excellent on a large screen (100" approx)
    dvd-audio and SACD decoding (hopefully with good bass management)
    dd/dts 6.1 or 7.1 capabilities
    don't want to spend too much

things like layer switch time, etc, aren't real factors since i'm used the the Rp91's LONG layer switches.

i hear great things about the Panasonic RP82 but it looks like that one's disctontinued, and the new Zenith that everyone's talking about (the hd dvd player) doesn't do dvd-audio.

thanks!

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moving to Audio/Video Sources.

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The Denon 2200 & 2900 aren't Faroudja based, but the Silicon Image chip is supposed to be just as good or better at film-based sources. Plus they are DVD audio & SACD. If you watch mostly film dvds, they may be a good choice for you. They are probably worth considering. Pricey though! [​IMG]

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

If you want DVD-audio look for a Panasonic XP50 on EBAY or go for the Denon DVD-2200 or DVD-2900.

5. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    Toshiba will soon be releasing their SD6915 which will have DVD-A, SACD, bass management and more. It's the one I'm planning to get this fall

Toshiba changer

Greg

6. Sean Patrick

so i'm assuming that bass management is rare in the current dvd players?

can most current receivers perform bass management? i've never used DVD-A before and know little about bass management.

so far, the Denons and the Yamaha s2300 are looking good but i'm assuming there is no bass management in those...

thanks

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Sean,
    Only a very few receivers or processors can do bass management on the 5.1 analog inputs you need to use for SACD or DVD-A.

It's also very rare on DVD-A capable dvd players.

8. Sean Patrick

hmm..that's what i was afraid of.

luckily reviews of one of the dvd players i'm looking at (the yamaha s2300 and/or the upcoming s1500) seem to indicate they can do bass management as part of the players' speaker setup.

9. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I had one for all of about 5 hrs before it crapped out. Needless to say with this and the recent recall of their other single disc player, I'm not too excited about Toshiba players right now.

The Yamahas both of some sort of bass management. The only thing that worries me about the S1500 is that it seems rather flimsy.

10. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

The Denon DVD-2900 also offers bass management.

Al. Wise

11. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

The S2300 does offer Bass Management. The SACD and DVD-A both have their own BM setup.