What's new

Help me pick a food brand for my new puppy (1 Viewer)

Steve Zatkoff

Stunt Coordinator
We had Roscoe on California Natural, which helped get his stomach straight when he was still a pup. He was a rescue dog and had a bad tummy when we got him. After a year on the CN, I went to the Canidae, which just seemed to build on the CN goodness :)

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Nutro here (Springer spaniel/border collie mix). I was going to switch her to their top of the line (max?) but she's done so well on the standard lamb meal and rice that I'm hesitant to change. Beautiful coat, and poops are nice and firm for those of you have to pick up afterwards.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

No problem, but nobody could pay me to endorse anything.

I do have an Advantage pen, but that's about it. I only carry Science Diet because it's made by the same company that makes Presciption Diet. I sell a tiny amount of Science Diet and a s***load of Presciption Diet.

We've had this "best pet food" debate on this board before, and I have no intention of getting into it again. Feed whatever you want. Come see me when your pet gets ill, for whatever reason. I'll tell you whether I think a special diet will help, and then you make up your own mind.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Ron,awesome dogs back at Ya! ,You must have your hands full with two dals inside not to mention the hair...what about the "no one can enter the perimeter but the masters" is that a problem with yours, is it is with ours. Sorry to Dal thread hijack...

:b

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Thanks Todd.

They are bound to the kitchen tile area only, not allowed in the rest of the house. They stay outside during the day and then we set their beds in the kitchen at night. They also have access to the garage.

They are both very protective. Angel more-so then Gumball, but they don't let anyone near if were not there.

I will say you'll be hard pressed to find better family dogs. Kid lovers to the extreme.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I agree with Phillip G that Pro Plan or Purina One is the way to go. I have a 10+ year old pit that looks like she can chew anvils, pull trains, and crap thunder pretty much all she eats is a high quality dog food (few table scraps and dog treats) and walks about 3/4 miles a day with me. I constantly get compliments about what a well built dog she is and constantly asked what kind of physical regimen and diet I put her on. What floors a lot of people is when I tell them how old she is and that's when they notice the whiteness of her muzzle (she has a very glossy coat that's shiny). I've fed my dog some of the other brands (Iams, Nutro, Sci-Diet, Eukanuba, etc) but her fur starts losing it's luster, starts losing mass, and starts getting diahhrea.

I say get what seems to work on your dog but don't be afraid to try something different every now and then because it might work better with your dog's biology than what worked on mine. I would recommend that your dog's dishes are washed at least once a day, frequent changing of the water in the dish, vaccinations are up to date, heart worm medicine is current, and checked for each time your four legged kid goes in for a check-up. It's a shame they have such a short life but I think they're worth the trouble to fret over.:emoji_thumbsup:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

Now, aside from using chicken instead of meal they both look fine to me. Of course if you ask the canidae folks meal is night and day better. However, at least pro plan has been tested by an independant party. Canidae could claim 24% protein and really provide 10, how would I know?
BTW, purina one isn't the same quality pro-plan is IMO. The grocery store/walmart foods that purina sells are a different animal from pro-plan.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor

Chicken what? At least with Canidae I know I'm getting chicken meal. Also, Pro-Plan has too much whole grain wheat, which many dogs have trouble digesting. As well as corn gluten meal and brewers rice, which I understand aren't the best things to have in dog food.

Anyway, I really don't want this to turn into a dog food pissing contest. If Pro-Plan is working well for your dog, then that's great. Keep using it since you found a dog food that your dog responds well to. I was simply looking for some opinions and I received them. I have a few options to try and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

BTW, according to the breeder I'm getting my dog from, she has been feeding this litter Pro-Plan since the pups were old enough to eat solid food.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

I don’t really think that all those hops go that well with ass (or beaks or feet), Ron. Perhaps something a little more mellow, along the lines of that porter you wrote up. :)

aaron campbell

Second Unit
I guess I should of known better to ask that here.:) But seriously, feeding your pets foods with by-products is BAD. By-products are leftovers of an animal thats unfit for human consumption.These are from dead,dying,diseased,& decayed animals. They may offer extra protein, but are not nutrious and certainly may lead to health problems.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Beats me. I think my puppy will eat her own poo, given the chance.
for now she's sharing canidae with her "big sister" as fast as she can get it. Guess for simplicity's sake we'll stick with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks