Help me Pick a DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Fisher, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Christopher Fisher

Hello,

I am looking to pickup a dedicated DVD player for my dorm room, sick of using a Playstation 2. Anyway, my guidelines for what I am looking for is as follows.

1. Nice video quality, but progressive scan is not necessary. I currently have a 20 inch Sony 4:3 that is about three years old and is nice but nothing oustanding. I don't really need anything bigger and will likely be keeping this TV for a couple of years. Best input it has is S-Video, so no component video.

2. Solid Audio performance, my reciever has built in DD and DTS decoding so it doesn't need to have any dedcoders built in. My reciever has both optical and coax inputs and either one is fine with me. Needs to have good surround performance, and do a decent job of occassional CD playing. I plan on getting a digital jukebox in the near future and have all my music on the computer.

3. My main requirement is that the unit be well built and reliable. I need this unit to provide steady performance with no problems. Also, I tend to rent DVD's fairly often and I admit that some of my DVD's are pretty scratched. Used to not take very good care of them but I have learned and now treasure all of my discs. A DVD player that handles scratches and other disc flaws well would be nice.

My budget is about 300 dollars but less would be nice. I am chiefly concerned with getting a solid player but would like to spend as little as possible. Money saved allows for other upgrades.

Thanks for everyone's help!

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    You may want to checkout the Panasonic RV31(or the new 32). I have been looking at the new Toshiba SD2800. It is about $229 here in Canada.

3. Christopher Fisher

Thanks,

I haven't looked at that particular panasonic model but I will check it out. Does anyone else have any comments on other models from Sony 700P, panasonic 56, Toshiba 4700, etc?