What's new

Help me pick a DVD player! (SVCD, NTSC, PAL) (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Ok, here's the deal. I have a Tosh 5109 that is getting a bit long in the tooth, & I'm getting that itch to upgrade (Probably to a Panasonic RP56).

At the same time, I'm thinking of getting a secondary player - one that will play a zillion formats. I'd like something that has compatibility with VCD, SVCD, XSVCD, and can also play PAL discs on a HDTV. The Malata's look enticing, but since this is just a secondary player, I won't need anything that is really fantastic. Is there anything cheaper?

Thanks,

Dave

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, here's a link for players that are hackable for some of the features you are looking for. The most common cheap DVD players are from the Apex line (1500, 3201, etc).
And here's another link for hacking cheap DVD players.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Cool, thanks for the link Patrick. Off to Best Buy to see what they have in stock that is hackable...

Any other suggestions? Particularly regarding SVCD?

Thanks,

Dave

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you do a lot of purchases of non-region 1 DVDs, I would think it's worth every penny to be able to watch the stuff not available here in the US.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
If you're looking for the best in Region free players, the Malata is the best shot for your money.

Malata offers a progressive model and a non-progressive that have the same scaling chip. The PAL to NTSC conversion is excellent and by far out shines any other out there.

In fact, I hear the non-progressive offers Macro free also.

I own 2 Malata's... my APEX's are door stops now...

Dugger

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks