Help me pick a Center Channel please!!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dennis_N, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Dennis_N

Dennis_N Agent

Hello all!
    I am looking to pick a center channel for my home theater system and I am a little confised what to get. Here is a rundown of my current setup (please don't laugh, it sounds decent to the untrained ear!)

Receiver: Denon 1803
    Fronts: Wharfedale MFM 5
    Center channel: Integrated Sony TV stand and center channel
    Rears: Wharfedale Diamond 8.2
    Subwoofer: Velodyne CHT-12

I know it is a totally peiced together system. I was listening to my friends system which uses all S series JVC speakers, a Denon 1802, and a Sony Subwoofer, and his center sounded SOOO much better than mine with all the crisp sounds that is could reproduce. Mine sounds all muffled and basically is very hard to hear what is going on in the movie.

I am looking to spend about $150 on a center that I hope could integrate into my system decently. I was looking to find a Wharfedale center, but I haven't had much luck locating a place that sells them, nor do I know which one would be a good match. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks much in advance!

Dennis

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    For best results, get the same kind of center as your main fronts.
    If they don't make a center, contact them and ask what kind to get, so you'll get seamless panning audio............

3. Ahkuma

Ahkuma Auditioning

I have a similar problem. I have 2 sony floor speakers that I love but Sony doesnt seem to make a center thats worth a damn.

4. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Have you contacted a Wharfedale dealer to see what center they would recommend to go with your MFM 5's?

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

When asking for speaker recommendations please post in the Speakers/Subwoofers are. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thank you.

6. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

If I'm not mistaken the mfm5 is a floor standing 2 woofer tower, but I wouldn't let that hold you back from using them as the rears and move the 8.2's up front.

I say this cause it would keep the front three speakers in balance if you were to get a Diamond 8 center.
    It retails for $150 but I got mine for $100 plus shipping from an authorized dealer and couldn't be happier.

7. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Ahkuma: For your issue, maybe you should just sell your fronts when you have the money to upgrade them? Then you could get better fronts and then make a match with a good center.