Help me pick a bday TV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ang, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Ang

Ang Auditioning

Hi - completely new here, found the site while researching tv reviews online. I could really use some advice finding a tv to surprise my husband with. I have searched this site extensively, and read through tons of posts, but most of what I read is over my head. [​IMG]

My husband is a big home theater fan. We have a 65" widescreen HDTV in the home theater room, and a grand wega HDTV something or another in the living room. I want to get a TV that hangs on the wall (is it only plasma and LCD that do that?), since the room where he wants a new TV has no floor space to spare.

I actually bought him one this last weekend. I was storing it at a friends' house and we plugged it in the other day to see what it looked like and it was horrible! The picture looks like it's an oil painting. My friend's husband said, "That's what all those hanging TVs look like." Am I out of luck? Do all the TVs that hang have such poor picture quality?

Needless to say I'm taking that TV back, but now I have no idea which one to get him. I don't want to ask him, because I really want this to be a surprise, but I'm really out of my element here and don't trust myself to buy a "good" one.

Would someone out there be willing to suggest a TV or two? As for requirements... HDTV or HD ready, doesn't matter which; decent picture that doesn't look like a bad .bmp image; personally prefer the speakers on the side vs. bottom and black vs. silver. Size -- the one I'm taking back is 42" and it's a little too big, so probably somethingsomewhere in the 30s. Price - up to $2000... but I'll certainly go higher if there's something out there that's worth it, we just won't be using this TV much at all since he mostly watches his 65".

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Angela

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Angela,

If you can go as small as 32" this might be the set for you

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rPath=79*3316*

There's also a 37" version but it's well over $3k most places.

I think if that 42" you're returning was a plasma (and 42" is a pretty standard size for plasmas) at a 2k price point it was probably a lousy example of what plasma is capable of.

Typically you won't find a good 42" Plasma EDTV for that price, let alone a good HD model.

There's only one size smaller in Plasma and that's 37" which are somewhat hard to find.

On the other hand there are many LCD panels available in the 32-37" size range. Top mfgs currently are Sharp Aqous, Panasonic, Samsung, but there are many lesser known brands that are good if fed a good HD signal from a decent external box.

3. Corey-Reid

Corey-Reid Stunt Coordinator

If your husband has a 65" hDTV already, im guessing he is into his TV. For his birthday, you should take him to --------------- (enter store) and tell him to go pick out a new tv for whatever room you are putting it in.

If my wife went out and picked out something like a tv, odds are it would be going back anyway. Trust me, he will be just as happy with his gift, even happier, because he will actually be getting what he wants[​IMG]

4. Ang

Ang Auditioning

Thanks for the replies! You're right Corey, I'd never pick the right thing. I took him out yesterday and he picked out a Toshiba 44NHM84. Not quite hang-on-the-wall, but even I'll admit it has a nice picture. [​IMG]

5. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

You are every guys' dream!!! [​IMG]

I hope that I'm that lucky.

6. Corey-Reid

Corey-Reid Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies! You're right Corey, I'd never pick the right thing. I took him out yesterday and he picked out a Toshiba 44NHM84. Not quite hang-on-the-wall, but even I'll admit it has a nice picture.

Glad I could help. Ill have been married for 18 years this sept., and I have learned a few things in that time. One of those things is that while MOST woman can appreciate why a certain quality and size of diamond costs xxx amount of money, my wife at least, will seem to think that the 300 dollar receiver would be "good enough.' Cant quite see most woman saying that 1/4 carat, yellow diamond would be "good enough", so no, that crappy receiver in my living room wont quite do dear[​IMG]

Good job!!
    and by the way, I am very lucky as my wife would do as you did.