What's new

Help me out...here's music that matters to me...who else might I dig? (1 Viewer)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
quote: By the way, 'bi-polar' is simply the modern term for schizophrenia; same thang.[/quote]
Sorry to go off on this tangent, but just wanted to note that this is incorrect. Bipolar might considered be a more current term for manic depression.
Blue Rodeo is kind of hit-or-miss for me, but their songs that I like, I really like.
[Edited last by Jim_F on October 15, 2001 at 01:34 AM]

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to go off on this tangent, but just wanted to note that this is incorrect. Bipolar might considered be a more current term for manic depression.
Jim,
You are absolutely correct. I knew this, but was obviously not thinking straight.
(Must have missed my lithium dose that day :))
Thanks for the clarification.
Jon
------------------
--Owner of the North American rights to the small-orange-for-a-head joke. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/005319.html

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
ANd if you are in a REAL strange mood try out the Butthole Surfers.
Best Live Band Ever! Recordings so-so ....depends if they were peaking
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

KrisM

Second Unit
Thanks for the info Scott. I never thought I'd see so many people into the whole Uncle Tupelo 'family' of music.
KrisM

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Steve Earle

Buddy and Julie Miller

Johnny A.

The Delevantes

Iris DeMent

John Mayer

Peter Himmelman

Grant Lee Buffalo

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
Hey--I love threads like this, because I get to learn about new (or old, as it may be) music as well!!
Try anything by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. The earlier stuff is a bit harsh at times (excellent, though) but I think his songwriting gets stronger and stronger as the years go by. His latest, "No More Shall We Part" is just pure genius, IMHO. Wonderful violin in there too... Give it a try.
enjoy
tony

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Yeap, Tonio K should be high on the list---specifically "Life IN the Foodchain" and "Romeo Unchained". Start with one of those.

Other gems you may like

Split Enz- Time and Tide

Crowded House-Temple Of Low Men or Woodface

Peter Himmelman- Strenght to Strength or Synethesia

Go to allmusic.com for much info.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Wow, Jon; I bet this is way too much for you to use.
I could write for a page and a half on this subject, but instead I'll restrict myself to a few artists I really, really, really, really strongly recommend. All of these songwriters are incredibly innovative, creative, original, and they combine an I-don't-give-a-damn-what's-popular sensibility with incredible listenability.
  • Bruce Cockburn (I especially recommend The Charity of Night)
  • Joe Jackson (Night and Day)
  • Sam Phillips (Martinis & Bikinis)
  • T-Bone Burnett (The Talking Animals)
  • John Hiatt (Bring the Family)
  • Jane Siberry (Bound by the Beauty)
  • Adrian Belew (Inner Revolution)
NP: Bruce Cockburn - Inner City Front

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I just got into The Super Furry Animals, and I think these guys might be right up your alley, John. Imagine a mixture of power pop, rock, ambient, psychedelica and early-era Roxy Music, and you'll have a good picture of this band. Try out Fuzzy Logic if you want to give them a shot.
Oh, and I have to also mention one of my all-time favorite albums, Here Come the Warm Jets by Brian Eno. Made after he left Roxy Music and before he went off to create ambient music, Eno cut this fantastic glam-rock album. It veers between raccous, anthemic rock ("Needle In the Camel's Eye"), lovely, electronic-spiked pop ("Cindy Tells Me") and ballads ("Some of Them Are Old"), furious guitar workouts ("Baby's On Fire," which features Robert Fripp) and several other treats (like "Dead Finks Don't Talk," which sounds like a Wild Life-era Paul McCartney tune).
Seriously, I've played Warm Jets several dozen times, and have discovered something new--either musically or lyrically--with every listen. Can't recommend this one enough.
NP: John Cale, "Pablo Picasso"

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Due to your liking Costello, I second the Sam Philips suggestion. She's brilliant, sharp, cutting, very Costello. Get her new one, Fan Dance or the best-of called Zero Zero Zero.
But most of all, for Costello fans, I have to reccomend an indie who, before many of his shows, dresses up as Costello and plays the opening act as Costello before leaving the stage and then returning as himself. His name is Stuart Davis, and the most Costello-like (in terms of intensity - think Radio Radio) album is probably his ninth one, which is self titled Stuart Davis:Stuart Davis. Has a silverish cover.
Unfortunately, or fortunately if you like, his catalogue is only sold online, over at www.peppermintcds.com. I think there's some mp3s there to check out for it, but if not, head over to www.twistedmystic.com and download the entire free live album that is housed in the UNRELEASED section. (They are legit).
Here's the direct link to the live album:
http://twistedmystic.com/unreleased.html
I've been playing this one at work for months. I really appreciate it when an artist has the guts to release an entire CDs worth of stuff for the fans this way.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Above suggestions I'll gladly second:

Aimee Mann

Steve Earle

Wilco

Gillian Welch

Michael Penn (although I think "Resigned" is his best)

Emmylou Harris (you simply MUST get "Wrecking Ball")

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

More suggestions:

Springsteen's "Nebraska" album

Mark Lanegan - this guy is a singer of amazing power

The Eels

Catherine Wheel's "Adam and Eve" - tough to find 'cause it's their only album that's out of print. Damn shame too, 'cause it's one of the best albums of the 90s.

NP - Remy Zero "The Golden Hum" back after a one-week absence!

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
As you might notice, I value: originality, real musical ability, lyrics of depth and/or cleverness, and variety. What I despise most is lack of originality.
I can't let this thread go on without mentioning David Bowie as I always do ;)
Check out Hunky Dory for a singer-songwriter kind of David Bowie, if it is variety specifically you're after, check out any Bowie collection, there will probably be variety enough ;)

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
Here is some one you might have passed over

HARRY CHAPIN

His songs are more like stories set to music. It is a light sounding type of music. He never did get much radio play, but one song you might know is CATS IN THE CRADLE. I would say his Gold Medal Collection is the best. It's like a greatest hits.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
By what you listed you might try:

Leonard Cohen- mid 70's albums

Tom Waits- start with "Rain Dogs" or "Swordfishtrombones"

Nick Cave& The BAd Seeds- I like the later stuff, "Murder Ballads" and "Boatman's Call"

Frank Black- "Teenager of the Year"

Jeff Buckley- "Grace"

Johnny Cash- "Live at Folsom Prison", "Cash"(american Recordings)

David Bowie- "Low"

all of the above are great storytelling or saga song LP's

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
The Clarks. A Pittsburgh favorite for 15 years, their seventh studio album and second Razor & Tie release "Another Happy Ending" has just premiered at #143 on the Billboard Top 200. The single "Hey You" which lead singer Scott Blasey wrote on the night of September 11th is getting tremendous airplay here and nationally. Needless to say, we're very proud of them here and want to share them with the world.
www.clarksonline.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks