Help me out here guys, What is going on with HT. Are these charts wacked or what?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastian, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Volume: Normal listening level when watching DVD's
    Bass management: Sub, yes. speakers, small. Onkyo 484
    Used Stryke audio CD.
    Crossover 80Hz?
    When only testing the sub output, I set the center to "none" and the surrounds to "none" mains "small"
    Disconnected the speaker wire from the mains and ran the freq sweep
    Sub output is the pink trace.
    When testing the mains I had it set to 5 channel stereo, speakers small and just turned the sub off at the switch on plate amp and ran another freq sweep.
    Result is the blue trace.
    Now when I ran the 16 and 18 Hz tone the center channel was producing all the sound. Why is my center channel extending lower than my sub?
    Is something screwed up with my receiver or is this normal?
    link
    [​IMG]

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Whoa, 16 and 18hz from center channel? What did that sound like? (flapflapflap)

When only testing the various speakers, isn't it possible to just turn down the gain on the channels you don't want to hear?

Could you post the room info and locations info in your other post.. then I can maybe say if it's normal.

3. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Sub Placement is above my entertainment center on a plant shelf. This is the only place I could put it. Listening position is back 16' with vaulted ceilings ~15' high and it is a great room that extends the whole length of my house, living room, dining room and kitchen.
    I know not the best for HT.
    Yeah I was surprised to when i heard bass coming from the center channel. I put my hand over the port and it felt like a blow dryer!
    Actually it did not sound all that bad, at first i thought i left the sub on.
    Anyway, When i get chance I am going to test it in stereo and not 5 channel stereo and see what happens.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

4. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Sub placement pic,
    link

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Sebastian, how is your subwoofer connected?

6. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Boy! What center channel do you have that goes down to 16Hz?

7. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

There are very few people who's ears can actually hear 16hz at 75dB. If you are hearing a significant amount of sound coming from your center, it's probably not a 16 hz tone, but rather some kind of distortion, resonance or whatever.

8. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

I think Doug is right some "whatever" Sound

9. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

A vaulted ceiling with open area to 3 other rooms is gonna complicate things a bit. [​IMG]
    The only thing I can think of to fix your bass spikes and humps is either acoustic treatments/helmholtz resonators, or maybe try one of those electronic equalizers. If you don't want to spend anything, a little trial and error might help. (Adjust sub placement and listener position)
    I'd tune my system to 2.1 mode if I used a test CD, then I'd tune it to 5.1 mode for DVDs. If you adjust the speakers for 5 channel stereo it might not sound right if you played it back in 2.1 mode.
    At glance, the in-room response looks normal. I don't think there's anything wrong with your receiver or speakers. It's pretty much up to the listener whether they notice the humps/dips and whether they want to flatten it out with $.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Sebastian- How'd you get graphs in a post? I'd like to try that sometime... [​IMG]

11. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

There is a tab labeled IMG right above where you enter your message. Click on that and enter the URL of the picture.
    To find the URL of the picture, right click on the picture and click properties. Copy and pasted the URL and your done.
    Sometimes it does not work for me. I tried to put my sub placement pic on this thread and it did not work. I tried several methods with no luck, but the link worked, weird.

I would still like to know why my center channel had significant amount of sound coming from it below 20Hz.