Help me navigate L.A.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derek Miner, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Hi all,
    I've done a search and read a couple past threads on Los Angeles, but I thought I'd drop by and get some particular advice and see if there're any new ideas for distractions.
    I've decided I would head out to L.A. to see this one-time comedy event with Kids in the Hall, Bob & David of Mr. Show, Janeane Garofalo and Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. My pal Steve in Long Beach tipped me off to the show and offered me a place to stay. So I decided I would make a big getaway out of it and head to the west coast from Nov. 12 to Nov. 21.
    First off, I'll probably be renting a car at LAX and then making my base camp in Long Beach at my pal's place. My friend works six days a week, so a lot of time, I'll be on my own to take in the junk culture I want to see. My concern is how to best make it around the greater L.A. area efficiently and safely on my own. What kind of advance familiarity should I have with the driving conditions and routes? Any places I should avoid or be concerned about as far as my safety on my own?
    Then, of course, there's the best way to occupy my time... I know this is highly subjective, so here's what I'm thinking of to begin with:
    I'm not into some obvious tourist trap type things, but my main interest is showbiz type stuff. I'm the doofus who would enjoy seeing places I know from movies that the locals would be blase about.
    I can live without getting to the Chinese Theater (I was there once, but a return trip would be a bonus on one of the later days). The Cinerama Dome sounds pretty cool. My pal mentioned the midnight movies at the Nuart and the Rialto, but I'm not that into the movies that week (it would be great if I could be there for FERRIS BEULLER on the 23rd though!).
    The Warner Bros. studio tour seems likely, and perhaps Universal (though we've got a Universal park here in Florida, so it's not that big a deal - similar reasons for no Disneyland, plus I don't care.)
    As far as eating and shopping, I want to hit some spiffy stores or odd places. Amoeba records is a place I think I'd dig. I was curious about the original Rhino store. I'd like to see some notable DVD/video stores, like Dave's or DVD Planet. I'd like to hit some stores that sell posters, scripts or movie promo stuff. Someone posted a suggestion of Roscoe's for breakfast, and there are bonus points because it made great jokes for TAPEHEADS and SOUTH PARK. [​IMG] Other than that, I'm totally open for food stops.
    I'm torn on how to fill up my Friday night, though. I want to get to a TV taping (no game shows), and a show I like, Grounded For Life is taping on Friday, Nov. 15. But Jon Brion is also at the Largo that night. I'll only be in town for one Friday, so it's a tough call. If there were another show (not necessarily Brion) at the Largo during the week, I'd definitely do both. Maybe I'll hit the Craig Kilborn show during the week, too.
    That should give you an idea what I'm about, so fire away with any suggestions, and thanks in advance!

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Being the Jossite you are, Torrance HS and Sony Pictures headquarters should be topping your list [​IMG]

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

First off, pay the extra money ($5-10 a day) and get the GPS nav system in your car. It is invaluable in larger cities you are unfamiliar with. I drove from Vegas to LA using it, and it is really good with LA streets/freeways.

Some fun stuff to see is the "Nakatomi Plaza" building used in Die Hard (its actually a Fox studios corporate building, but you can take pics from the street); The Santa Monica pier is fun simply because of all the movies that have had scenes there.

4. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    Derek, you are in luck!
    The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences is screening Around the World in 80 Days on Monday, 11/18.
    http://www.oscars.org/events/diamond/index.html
    The event will include a screening of the animated short that won the Oscar that year, and usually a newsreel from that year as well. The show starts at 7:30, but lately, they've been showing other stuff starting at 7-7:15 (things like film footage of the Academy Awards for that year, or home movies of hollywood celbrities).
    The theater is absolutely state-of-the-art; I have no idea what kind of print they'll have, but I'm sure it will be the best available (so far, all the prints have been archival or newly restored). Tickets are only $5, and go on sale 6 weeks before the screening. It's best to mail in your order form a week before, so it gets there a little early.
    Hope you can make it!

5. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Oh yeah! I forgot about those Academy Best Picture screenings. I will definitely pencil that in for the 18th. Where do I get an order form? And where is the theater?

6. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

there are a couple numbers you need to remember

110,105,405,10. Those are pretty much the Major Highways In and Around L.A.

Pasadena is really cool and away from the Hustle and the bustle of LA. You got the ROSE BOWL, The Proctor and gamble house Which was Used in BTTF, The House Used in Batman(TV)and the neighborhood used in the filming Of Halloween all within several streets of each other. you just have to look for them.

If you liked LA Confidential then you are in Luck The DVD gives the location of many of the Outdoor shots used for the movie. I found the Formosa, and the night owl while just driving around.

7. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
  8. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Yeah, these are all good tips, thanks!

I'll have to go looking for that house used in Back to the Future, that's a favorite of mine. Does any BTTF stuff still exist on the back lot at Universal?

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

10. Mark C Sherman

yes they Are.

Do you know why so many people in LA have kids? 3 words

CAR POOL LANE

Derek there are things still from BTTF on the back lot. If i were you I would get the directors Pass at Universal. Is 20 dollars more then regular addmission but the best part is you get a pass that you hang around your neck and you get to "CUT" in line. I went on Jurassic park the ride 3 times in less then an hour with the line around the corner. it was great. T2 3D is worth going to see its awesome.

11. Mark C Sherman

OK funny Story about the BTTF House. I swear on my grandmothers grave this happened. When my Sister Got married she had her rehearsal dinner party at that house. It was awesome. We got a tour of the home and Dinner on the back Porch Which over looks the Rose Bowl. Ok Now the Funny Part. Since it was a Party we all were a bit Tipsy. I was standing at the front door and My sister in law had a beer well I wanted a sip I pulled it out of her hand and spilled it all over The persian rug in the entry hall.
    YEP I spilled a Beer in Doc Browns House. 1.21 Gigawatts nope 12 Fl oz[​IMG]

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Actually, there aren't that many kids in many parts of the town. This is not really a family-oriented kind of place. And don't forget the 101 freeway ("Hollywood" freeway when you're southbound; "Ventura" freeway when you're northbound).

Do not do the tourist-trap stuff, and that includes the new Hollywood & Highland Entertainment Complex.

Want to see the real Hollywood? Instead of walking up and down Hollywood Boulevard, why not go a block north? In fact, why not cruise up Yucca at around Wilcox, and check out the Pla-Boy Liquor Store? Or hang with the junkies and streetwalkers who take rest breaks at the 7-11 on Cahuenga?

It always amuses me to see the shellshocked look on tourists' faces when they stray off course and get a gander of the ugly reality underlying Hollywood.

13. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Having made the drive many times, the quickest route from Long Beach to Hollywood is up the 710 to the 5 to the 101.

14. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

True LA Speak:
    The 701, The 5, The 101
    Angelenos spend so much time on the freeways, the routes take a life of their own. Afternoon rush hour can start at 3 p.m. Even at 9:30 am on The 5, it took me 1.5 hrs to go 10 miles...sigh

15. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

16. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

17. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler