What's new

Help me narrow down the field for my components (1 Viewer)

Justin*P

Auditioning
I'm going to be putting together an entirely new HT system, starting now, to be completed in the next year or so. I'm basically starting from scratch, as my old system was purchased when I was 16 and therefore was not very good. The display will wait until later, but I'm in need of a DVD player NOW. Also, a receiver will be purchased in the next month.

Here are my requirements for a dvd player:
- must be a changer w/ at least 3 disc capacity
- HDMI output
- upconvert to 1080
- as cheap as good quality will allow

My current 5 CD changer is just about dead. Sometimes it doesn't spin up, display doesn't uh, display, things like that. I primarily use my system for music, mainly because my tv is crap. I listen to a LOT of music. I'd prefer to have a DVD changer mainly so I can use it in both roles instead of having to buy a dvd player and a cd player...space is a concern with all the other stuff that will be in the HT setup eventually. I'd like to keep the dvd player under $250 if it's possible.

The receiver:
- Must be 5.1. 6.1 or 7.1 is fine, I just don't plan on using the extra channels.
- Must have a plethora of inputs, both audio and video. DVD player, Xbox, PS2, Xbox 360, PC, MP3 player
- HDMI

I'd like to keep the receiver under $700.

Speakers will come in a few months, and a tv after that. If you guys could help me narrow down the field of equipment, I'd much appreciate it.

Justin*P

Auditioning
Ok never mind about the carousel, apparently there is only one upconverting player with a carousel and it's about $550 from Yamaha. That pretty much puts the whole system on hold :angry:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Justin, please note the red-letter advisory at the top of the Basics-area thread-listing page. Particularly the last sentence. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level only. In other words, no requests of the "what-should-I-buy" variety. For that, go to the appropriate hardware-related area. In the case of complete systems, such questions go into the A/V Sources area (not a perfect fit, we admit, but it must do for now). JB

Justin*P

Auditioning
Sorry 'bout that, in the other forums I read if a question spans more than one area it always goes in the general discussion forum since it doesn't fit in any individual one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks