Help me join the Hi-Rez bandwagon!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler T, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Tyler T

Tyler T Stunt Coordinator

I am getting mad at myself because I haven't saved for a home theater system. But, I'm even more mad at the fact that I haven't gotten an SACD player yet. I remember holding one off until the future when the Stones remasters came out. But now with The Police, Pink Floyd, The Who, Peter Gabriel, and Bob Dylan, I'm reconsidering that. Not to mention that I really also want to get into DVD-A! But, I don't want to shell out $700 for the Pioneer combo.

Basically, what should I get for a player? I was thinking that I'm not going to go on a huge home theater spree right now, so I could get one of those Home-Theater-In-A-Box with SACD capabilites. Are those good enough right now? I've never heard either SACD nor DVD-A and really want to know!

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Tyler,
    Circuit City is selling a very good Sony HTIB system for $600 with 5 speakers and subwoofer and an integrated SACD player/amplifier unit.
    For more money, you can purchase one of the new inexpensive universal players and get both DVDA and SACD but this may add a few hundred more to your cost.
    [​IMG]

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    IMHO, like it or not you should get a universal player. the format war is not over yet, and in future it may well be that both co-exist. no point committing yourself to one or the other, since inevitably something will come out on the "other" format that you'd like.

I certainly will be buying a universal player when the time comes. probably a Pioneer too, although "fortunately" for us out here Pioneer's entry-level universal player is an affordable S$500 (about US$285).

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Tyler, what about the less expensive Pioneer 45? I think they have a cheaper non-Elite model coming soon too? It's bound to be in the $249 to $300 range...? I'd bet... Best wishes!

5. Michael St. Clair

By July (some sooner) there will be many more 'universal' players that do DVD-A and SACD with bass management. Entry level players as low as $200.
    If you are looking entry-level, that's the way to go, IMO.
    I certainly wouldn't consider buying a player that can't do both formats at this point. Some of my favorite artists of all time are out (or are coming) on DVD-A (YES, REM, Zappa, King Crimson, Steely Dan, Beach Boys). Likewise, SACD has The Stones, CCR, Pink Floyd, and so on. Both formats have dozens of eclusive artists. Anybody telling you to get a non-universal player may be assuming you have very limited, specific tastes in music.
    More likely, however, is that such a person has an agenda.
    Frankly, regardless of who 'wins', it looks like neither format is going to disappear overnight.

6. Tyler T

Micheal,
    Oh I do need a universal player! All of the bands that you listed in both camps were all favorites of mine. (BTW, what Frank Zappa disc is coming to DVD-A?) I don't think I could live without the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds in Hi-Rez or REM's Document in the same, but that also goes for hearing Dark Side on SACD and others!
    Thanks for the info about the cheap Pioneer players! Are there any links for buying and what the Pioneer models look like?
    The only thing I'm regretting is having to spend an extra sum of money just for a speaker system! But, I'd rather save the best for last and just hear the songs out of my TV before experincing them in either Dolby 2.0 or 5.1, DTS 5.1, and SACD's sound! [​IMG]

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I saw an ad for a Pioneer HTiB (sorry, can't remember model no.) in a magazine yesterday. the source is a universal player, and the package has a retail price of about S$1,000: that's about US$570, but take that with a pinch of salt since electronics are often cheaper here.

even at, say around US$700, this seems like a good way to get into multichannel, if your budget is limited.

8. Michael St. Clair

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Regarding universal players...
    I'd hoped to find an ideal universal player when I made my first step into hi-res music a few months ago. There are many more models to choose from today, but only a short time ago I couldn't find one that was worth the premium price-tag.
    From such a player, I require top-notch SACD/DVD-A playback, as well as CD playback that will rival players in the $500-1000 range (CD playback remains very important). For DVD-V, I require progressive scan capabilities and, preferably, multi-region/multi-format conversion capabilities.
    I found nothing that fit that bill to a "T". And everything that came close had some degree of compromised performance, particularly for CD playback, but also, I think, for hi-res formats. Regarding the latter, I think there's a far wider range of playback quality than people generally acknowledge, if only because the quality of sound is so significantly improved over previous digital formats that it almost seems like a quibble. But the more we're used to hearing these formats done well and played back on quality equipment, the more we'll distinguish between the quality of players.
    Ultimately, I found then that the cost of a universal player, one that does all things, but none exceptionally well, was practically equivalent to purchasing separate players that do only some things, but very well. As I've lived with separate DVD and CD players for the last 4 years after making a similar determination, it's not problematic for me to have two players to cover the current formats.
    So, I settled on a Sony C555ES for SACD/CD playback. I'm still looking for that perfect DVD-A/DVD-V player, one that plays back hi-res to perfection, and also does progressive-scan video extraordinarily well... and if I can find one that plays multi-region discs and converts PAL to NTSC, then it's earned a place of honor in my rack! [​IMG]
    Any suggestions?

10. Tyler T

Sorry to bring up somewhat old threads again, but I saw a nice selection of DVD-A's at BB yesterday and I remembered that they could play in any DVD player! Should I get some DVD-A's now? I'm OK with 2-channel stereo right now and will eventually upgrade to 5.1 and a universal player. The only thing I'm mad at are those DTS discs because I really would like to get those McCartney "quad" discs... [​IMG]