Help me install speakers in a 2002 Mazda Protege

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ely, Nov 30, 2001.

1. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

Okay, the subject speaks for itself [​IMG]
    As it stands, all the speakers are out of the car. Now my problem, which wire is + and which is -? Each speaker has a completely different color coded set of wires.
    Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the car?
    Any help is GREATLY appriciated!

2. Gerard Vogel

Gerard Vogel Auditioning

3. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    David,

Let me ask a couple of questions. Are you asking which speaker wire is + and -, or which wire in the wiring harness is front / rear / right / left / + or -.

If you are replacing the stock speakers, and wanting to put the existing wires onto new speakers, there is no real danger in hooking them up wrong. You've got a 50/50 shot of getting it right. I assume the wires are obvious as to which are right and left, and you are wondering which is + and -. If you don't get the + and - the same on each side, it will be very evident by the sound you get. The speakers will be out of phase. It will sound very hollow. If that happened, then you only have to switch one speakers wires, flip flopping them, and you will have them back in phase. Go ahead and experiment. Just be careful not to ground out the speaker wires by letting them touch together. That can burn out the amplifier.

If you question is which wire in a wiring harness is fr+ or rr- or rl+ or fl-, the best advise is to go to the dealership, and ask them to look it up in their service manual. They should do it no problem.

If this doesn't answer your question, let me know. I've put in a few car stereo's in my day.

4. David Ely

Ya, my question is which of the wires are + and which are -. I can't figure out which is '+' and which is '-' just from the colors.

That PDF file is great to have, but my wires are a different color so it doesn't seem to apply. Thanks though.

5. Gerard Vogel

Gerard Vogel Auditioning

Ok, assuming you remember how the origional speakers were hooked up to the stock wires, try this.

Take a factory woofer and attatch a AA battery to it's terminals briefly, if you see the cone move away from the magnet then the terminal you have the (-) side of the AA hooked to is the (-) and the (+) the, well, positive. If the cone moves towards the magnet then just switch the wires.

By doing that you now know the polarity of the speaker, and can work backwards to figure out which wire is positive and which is negative. Repeat for the other side.

6. David Ely

7. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    David - After you connect the speakers, fade the sound all the way to the front. If you can turn the balance control all the way to the left or right and the sound is louder than when it is in the middle, the speakers are out of phase. If this happens, just reverse the wiring on one of the speakers of the pair, it doesn't matter which. Now, repeat this process for the rear speakers. You'll be jamming in no time.

8. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Last time I installed speakers in the car,one input terminal on the speaker was larger than the other.It seems that the + was a bigger jack than the -..hope that helps some