What's new

Help me impress women with my vast knowledge of clarinet...stuff... !!? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
;)
So I just met this woman who works for the same company but different office than I, and she's a big clarinet player I just found out. Now, while I am trying to broaden my musical tastes, I'm not aware of who is a good clarinet player, either current or past classics. Could you guys recommend a few good disks for me? And what else should I know that would uhh 'help' me? No, I am not trying to pretend that I'm a clarinetist myself, or anything like that, just know a little more about the music, in hopes this would expand my current desire to try different genres of music, and help in striking conversation with her. I did a google search on the subject which just came up with a bunch of wierd sites, so no help there. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
;):b

Julie K

Screenwriter
Why not ask her? That would impress her far more than trying to study up on the subject in order to appear knowlegable.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
I agree. Chances are, if you go try to research clarinet artists and then bring up some name you found, it'll work against you. It'd be like going up to someone who's really into HT and saying, "So I hear Bose speakers really rock tha house."

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Why not ask her? That would impress her far more than trying to study up on the subject in order to appear knowlegable.
I agree with Julie, show her that you are interested and listen to what she has to say. Everybody likes to talk about things that interest them but it's much more fun when the other person is actually interested in what they have to say.
Good luck! :emoji_thumbsup:

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I'm female and a clarinetist also. :)
I agree, simply tell her that you know she plays the clarinet but unfortunately don't know too much about it. Ask her to tell you all about music and what she loves to do. It will come across that you are genuinely interested in her *and* her hobby. A lot of women like it when you ask about them.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
How big is her clarinet?:)
Paul,
These folks are trying to help, but I actually read your question. Check out Pete Fountain and Benny Goodman. If the big clarinet player is into classical music, then I can't help at all. Do you have access to a really good record store (i.e. NOT Musicland)?
Jim

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I am a very accomplished clarinet player. I taught Pete Fountain everything he knows. Just bring my name up in the conversation: "Yeah, you know, that Dave Poehlman really rocks the 'net!"

She will most certainly throw herself at you.

Sorry... I don't know what came over me.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I can hear her now: "One time, at bandcamp..." :)
I agree with the others, ask her directly, remember what she says, get some of the artists she mentions and listen to them. Then the next time you talk you can tell her that you listened to them. You'll have something to talk about and you'll broaden your musical horizons. :)
/Mike

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
You know, I'm a concert clarinet player myself; been playing for over ten years, at this point. And I could not name a single 'professional' clarinet player, because I don't listen to clarinet music.

Chris Lock

Second Unit
I pretty much agree with the others, but I have to ask this: Why do you feel a need to impress her? You said you just met. How well do you know her to think she's worth impressing? Maybe she should be trying to impress you! I wouldn't put any effort into learning about the clarinet, beyond asking her, unless you are truly interested in it. Why not look for things you already have in common?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Benny Goodman was also a great classical clarinetist. He played the Bartok trio for clarinet, violin, and piano like it was written for him - which of course it was! There's an old CBS recording of Bartok, Szegeti, and Goodman playing....
Brahms. That's all you need to know. Clarinet Quintet.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
:D
Hilarious!! I love this forum!! And I didn't know how many people here played clarinet. I admit I don't listen to clarinet music either, Shane, which makes it harder.
I agree with what most of you are saying, that's the best way to learn about this sort of thing. I especially identify with the Bose comment.
I also like the way you think Joe!! :)
always, always listen to the women in here for female advice..
and thank you for the 2 suggestions.
Thanks all! :)

Stacie

Stunt Coordinator
Richard Stoltzman is somewhat controversial but still a very fine player, IMO. He's probably the most "famous" clarinetist working today (it's all relative, right?)

Larry Combs, principal clarinetist of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, is one of the greatest.

One of my personal favorites is David Shifrin.

Sabine Meyer is also just fabulous.

If you're interested in hearing some of the classical clarinet rep, look for a recording of the Brahms Quintet for Clarinet and Strings, as was already mentioned above. Then move on to the Mozart Clarinet Concerto and the Mozart Quintet for Clarinet and Strings.

That should be a pretty good place to start...

Stacie (trained as a pro classical clarinetist in a former life)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks