Help me identify this singer please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Mickunas, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

OK, I keep seeing parts of this video or hearing part of the song, yet I somehow miss who the singer is and what the name of the song is, but I really like it and want to hear more by this girl. She's a younger singer and plays the piano, but its definitely not Fiona Apple (unless she's finally put some meat on her bones). She's a burnette, and somewhat attractive, but not like really hot or sexy, and she's not trying to be like Brittney or anyone like that. Her song is of a similar style to the type of women you'd see at Lilith Fair, pop, but not like Madonna, Mariah, or any of that stuff.

The last time I saw part of the video was the other day on VH1. It was some countdown of the 20 top women of the year. It was hosted by a black woman, I think it may have been Queen Latifah, she was wearing a FUBU shirt and dancing in a club. Anyways I switched to the channel just at the end of the video after the credits. This artist was 20th, and the Dixie Chicks were 19th. If anybody else saw this show, maybe you can help.

The video is rather simple. Its mainly focused on this girl and she's singing and at times playing the piano. Part of it takes place outside on some big green hills and there are a bunch of couples lieing in the grass. The song was also being used for promos of a new TV show ths fall.

Well that's all I can come up with. I realize some of its vague, but I hope I got enough clues for someone familiar with it. I don't recall seeing this girl before, but I'd like to find some of her stuff and check it out. Thanks to anyone that can help.

2. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

Could it be Vanessa Carolton?

3. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

I found the list on VH1.com (Just for you).
    Link to List

4. ToddR

ToddR Agent

It was probably Norah Jones. I saw her on SNL recently and she was pretty good. A rather ecclectic mix of songs - some jazz, some old country, and some blues.
    There are several songs on her web site: http://www.norahjones.com/av/default.htm

5. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Yeah, I thought it was Norah Jones too when you described her playing the piano. It's good to see there's still some musicians with true musical talent instead of just gyrating bodies with zero musical talent to offer. You go Norah!

6. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

No offense guys, but the answer is clearly Vanessa Carlton.
    I found the exact show he was watching and provided the list and link to VH1. What more proof do you need?[​IMG]
    Kenny Foor provided the correct answer within 32 minutes.

7. Paul D Snyder

Paul D Snyder Stunt Coordinator

Both are very good, and I agree that it's refreshing to see new artists that compose and can proficiently play a musical instrument. Vanessa Carlton's big hit is "A Thousand Miles" and Norah Jones' biggest single is "Don't Know Why". Maybe that will help. From what I've seen, most folks who like one seem to like the other also. Vanessa is more pop with some classical influence,(due to her training) all instruments are pretty much acoustic without any pre-fab, casio-sounding backing tracks. A lot of good musicians played on her album. I really like the way she not only included the Orchestra in her credits, but listed each of the musician's names individually. Being a guitarist/drummer/pianist/vocalist myself I know what it's like to be behind the scenes in the studio.
    Norah on the other hand is definitely jazz/blues oriented. She has a smokey-smooth voice, she sounds older than she looks in my opinion. Vanessa has a younger poppy voice. Hope this helps!!

Regards,
    Paul Snyder

8. Paul D Snyder

Paul D Snyder Stunt Coordinator

Yes, it is definitely Vanessa Carlton. I re-read your post and I also noticed her single, "A Thousand Miles" popping up in several television promos as well as a recent feature film trailor.

Regards,
    Paul Snyder

9. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Yep, its Vanessa Carlton. I found her site and downloaded a clip of "A Thousand Miles". This is the song I was hearing. Thanks guys. I'll have to check out Norah Jones also if she's similar.

10. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info Paul on Vanessa Carlton. I'll have to check out her music. Kenny Foor nailed this one!