Help me identify this series of books

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeff Cooper, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

I'm trying to remember a series of books I read about 15 years ago, but cannot remember the author or title of any of the books.

I remember the story of the first book was about a group of children who found a secret cave at the base of a cliff next to the ocean. Inside this cave was some treasure, I think it was something like the holy grail. The climax of the story involved them going into the cave to get the treasure, and nearly getting trapped inside, because of the rising tide.

The first book was relatively small and simple to read, a good book for early teenagers. There were 4 or 5 books total in the series, and I remember the later books became increasingly bigger and much more complex in their material. The later books followed the same group of kids as they got older and involved them either going back in time or travelling to an alternate universe or something like that. I remember the later books being very complicated and being totally lost when I read them at that young age.

Anyone have any ideas of what I'm talking about?

2. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

Ever since I read this post I cannot get it out of my mind. I know this series, yet can't place a name. My first thought was it sounds like a book from the Trixie Beldon series or maybe the Boxcar children series.

I'll keep searching for ya!

3. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    Jeff,

I believe you are referring to the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. The first book, which you described above, is called Over Sea, Under Stone. The sequence of books is as follows: Over Sea, Under Stone; The Dark Is Rising; Greenwitch, The Grey King (Newberry Award winner, I believe); and Silver on the Tree.

These are some of my favorite books from my childhood, and I just dug them out of a box so my son can read them.

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Would these books hold any charm for an adult? I see they were written in the '60s, and as a kid I enjoyed several childrens' books from that era: the Three Investigators, The Secret Hideout, Enemies of the Secret Hideout, etc. I'm actually not that particular about the reading level at which I'll read--my next read could either be Dostoyevsky's House of the Dead or this. [​IMG]

Here's a link to a pretty inexpensive boxset with all the books:

http://tinyurl.com/538rm

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I just loaned my set to a friend and she enjoyed them, but noted there's a degree of "all talk and no action" when the children confront their adult nemeses. It's a minor complaint overall and maybe makes sense for them being childrens books.

6. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Yes, those are the ones! Now it's all starting to come back to me. Thanks a lot!