What's new

Help me identify this Panasonic DVD player (1 Viewer)

StevenK

Second Unit
I saw/heard this player at a friend of a coworker's house and I can't contact him anymore. I made a mental note to get the model number, but after several beverages, I regrettably forgot.

Anyhow, I THINK these were some of the features:

5-disc changer
DVD-Audio
Progressive scan w/Faroujda Sage chip
DVD-R capable

I believe it's an old model...and fairly inexpensive at that. I was quite surprised by the picture quality and wouldn't mind having it for my bedroom setup.

Much thanks.

BTW, I did see the DVD-CP72S on Panny's website, but the guy indicated the player was in the $150 range, not $280 range, so I wonder if there was an earlier model.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
It would have to be one of the new DVD-F85s, but they do not have the Sage/Faroudja chip.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The CP-72's have been on clearance around here locally (like at Circuit City) for like $150. Does the picture match up?

In any event, you should try Crutchfield.com for comparison. They have excellent, very large pictures for comparing different units.

Craig W

Second Unit
Its probably was the CP72 if it had DVD-Audio, otherwise the only other changer that Panny made with the Sage chip was the CP67, but that did not have DVD-Audio. The CP72 was heavily discounted and also had a $30 rebate.

StevenK

Second Unit
Then that's probably the one. Thank you all very much....

Now where to find one...anybody know if the rebates are still valid?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The rebate is good until the end of May. The original rebate forms say end or march, but it's been extended, just print a new form from the Panasonic webpage.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Steven, the CP72 is like 95% the same circuitry as the RP82, which is highly-acclaimed for excellent PQ. I have a CP72 myself. Good unit so far.

StevenK

Second Unit
Well, I went ahead and got the cp72 from the crutchfield 'scratch and dent' store for $149 after the $20 Mastercard coupon. Throw in a $30 rebate, and $119 for a progressive, DVD-A player doesn't sound so bad. Hopefully, it's not all scratched to hell.

So far, from reading the reviews, I might as well swap out my DV-45a in the living room with this thing seeing as how I only have 1 SACD anyways:)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I got mine from Crutchfield too, Steve, although not a scratch and dent. I used a referral discount and a mastercard discount (although I guess they put the smack down on using both discounts), $159 after rebate.

Skippy

Stunt Coordinator
Steven,
Good luck with the CP72 from Crutchfield's S&D. I was looking for a CP72 when they ran out of stock a couple of weeks back. I ended up getting a JVC F80 from S&D, which wouldn't open and had to be sent back. I wish they'd had the CP72 in S&D to replace the F80. Although I would have surely been wary of buying another S&D item from Crutchfield. I hope your experience turns out better than mine.

Skippy

EDIT: How did you get the $20 MC discount on a Scratch and Dent item? When I tried it on the F80, it wouldn't give it to me becuase it said "not valid on specials, S&D, etc.":angry:

StevenK

Second Unit
Skippy,

I had to call into crutchfield. The guy was very nice (one of the perks of paying a little more for crutchfield items--customer service) and punched it in. He said the coupon was good for S&D items (at least the coupon didn't say S&D was excluded), but he couldn't get it to apply until he entered in the CC number.

Skippy

Stunt Coordinator
DANG!! When I called in to get the return auth for the F80, I told the guy I had been looking for the CP72 and he didnt say anything about any S&D ones. Oh well. Like I said I may have been leary of picking up another S&D item after the F80 experience. But the CP72 is on their webiste now.

Oh well... keep us updated on how yours turns out. Thanks for the info.

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks