What's new

Help me! I keep falling asleep reading a novel for english class! (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I have to read LORD OF THE FLIES for English class, but both times i really try to concentrate and read, i've fallen asleep...
angry.gif

This is when im concentrating with no outside distractions... But when I read in some other places, my mind wanderse, and im reading, but the information doesnt process into my brain...
One time i read it when i was in bed... today, i read it right after dinner... I even read out loud, but then my throat got tired... and my mind started wandering after trying to do some accents...
blush.gif

Whats the best time to read? How can I keep from falling asleep?
Also, i wasnt tired at all when i read it after dinner today...
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
[Edited last by NickSo on September 13, 2001 at 10:43 PM]

Derrik N

Grip
Get the movie, Cliff Notes, Web sites. :)
Honestly, some websites dealing with the book may spark your interest enough in the story that you will be able to stay awake.
------------------
Derri(NO "c")k

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
You can always rent the movie (though I don't think it's entirely faithful.)
Although... It really is a good book. Get some caffeine or something. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's a good book Nick. I recommend this recipe for staying awake
WARNING: DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE A HEART CONDITION. I AM ABSOLVED OF ALL RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DIE
8oz Jolt Cola
8oz Coffee
3 Stay-Awakes
Grind the Stay-Awakes and add to liquid, drink fast
DO NOT LIE DOWN OR YOU WILL FALL DEAD ASLEEP
Upright, you;re good for up to 36 hours

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I don't think you could understand the novel by watching the movie. Just sit down when you're not tired and read the book. I don't find it that great of book, but it sure beats reading a textbook for most classes.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
If Lord of the Flies sends you to sleep, I dread to think what William Golding's other works would do to you. Pincher Martin would probably induce a coma.
But seriously, folks ... If it's any consolation, the book improves after a while. The first couple of chapters just set the scene. You will, however, get absolutely nowhere in appreciating the book unless you know what it's about. There are multiple layers to this book. However, at its most basic, Golding was interested in the idea of the savage that lies within us all and how thin the veneer of 'civilsed behaviour' actually is. He places a group of English schoolboys on a desert island (set sometime in the near future, there has been a war and the boys were in the process of being evacuated by plane when it crashed, killing all the adults on board). In traditional children's fiction, when kids are left alone in some deserted place free of adult influence, they spend their time creating an orderly civilisation, being inventive, courageous, and having spiffing adventures. Golding gives an insight into what would *really* happen. But more than this, the children are made to represent different types of thought. Piggy represents pragmatism, Simon idealism, etc. Just look how long they last when lowest common denominator thinking takes over. Given all the talk there is at the moment of civilisation under threat, etc, there couldn't be a better time to read this book.
Instead of dosing yourself with high doses of caffeine (a dubious practice and not recommended for your health), consider waking up earlier (I realise this is a difficult concept for most students to grasp) and reading then. Oh, and good as they are in their own right, I don't think that the movies are totally accurate portrayals of the book. The first (black and white) one is arguably the better of the two that have been made.

Eric Scott

Second Unit
Nick
Try a cold shower before you start reading. Subconsciously, I believe you are in an ongoing dream with Josie and the Wildcats!
You Are Prohibited From AfterHours
Until You Finish Chapter Two!

crazy.gif

[Edited last by Eric Scott on September 14, 2001 at 06:54 PM]

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Sucks to your ass-mar!
That book was one of my favourites that we did in english class. I found it very interesting.
Here's what you should do, just watch the Simpson's version of it, that'll keep you plenty entertained :)

Chuck Schick

Stunt Coordinator
Nick-
Not that I want to cheat a lad out of a quality education- but it's on DVD. Instead of all that Jolt and no doze- spend $2.99 on a sixer of Old Milwaukee and rent it from Netflix. It's more or less the same

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
A taje-off of Clinton's idea a few posts above... maybe someone could post the book here, divided into ten threads or so... I'm sure Nick would read it then. :)
/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread