Help me hide my speaker wire!!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Andy Boenau, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Andy Boenau

Andy Boenau Extra

Good news: I'm moving into a new house. Bad news: the family room gives no easy option for hiding speaker wire to my rear speakers. It's a wide open room with a fire place on one side wall and french doors on the back wall leading to an office. WHERE DO I HIDE THE WIRE FOR REAR SPEAKERS??!! If anyone is up to a challenge, I'll email you pics.

2. Will Rainford

Will Rainford Auditioning

Andy,

If your new house has an unfinished basement, you may want to consider drilling through the floor and running your cable through the floor joists to your rear speaker position and drill back up again. If this is not possible let me know. Perhaps I can come up with something else.

Will

3. Andy Boenau

Andy Boenau Extra

The attic is over the 2nd level, the home theater will be on the first level. The house does not have a basement, just crawl space. I'll send you both a picture of the room complete with the current owner's banana-yellow walls.

Thanks for the help,
    Andy

4. Paul Spencer

Paul Spencer Stunt Coordinator

Andy,

if you get a free geocities website (or similar) you can put a link to images and then display them here

There are many ways you could hide the cables:

- run them through the floor or ceiling (you don't need a basement or attic to do that although it might involve more mess) ... be wary of exposing bare parts of the cable to moisture in the floor
    - put them behind a cornice
    - make the ceiling black and use black cables with some timber drop panels with downlights in them so you won't see the cables
    - construct a timber tube conduit designed in such a way that it looks like it is meant to be a part of the interior

regards,
    Paul

5. Nick Hallett

Nick Hallett Agent

Run em behind the crown moulding if you have it.

6. Sean_avnut

Sean_avnut Extra

They make some decent looking wire hiders that run along side the trim at home depot. You can get them in white or almond color. I had them once and they didn't look too bad.

I had a professional come out and hide the wires. It was worth it.