What's new

Help me hide from spammers again (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Graham

Stunt Coordinator
On my old computer I used to receive a lot of email spam. When I changed my isp the spamming stopped completely. This week I setup my isp account on my new computer and have had little time to do anything more than read email and go to some forums I follow. I was frustrated this morning to find spam in my email already! I believe that my previous computer must have had my previous email account still encrypted somewhere in my Explorer/Outlook so that my new account was not picked up by the spammers. Do any of you have any ideas on how I might recreate this on my new machine?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
You can run but you can't hide!

How long have you had the new email account? I don't think there's any connection between you switching computers and receiving spam on the newer account. If you use that email address on web sites and (especially) Usenet eventually spammers will pick it up.

The best solution IMHO is to have two email addresses (one can be a Hotmail or Yahoo if you like). One address would be the one you give your friends, etc. you want to receive email from. The other address would be used to register on web sites that require an email address. This is the one the spammers will find. Just log onto that address once in a while to clean out the junk, and as long as you don't leave your other address lying around on the web anywhere, chances are spammers won't discover it.

KJP

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Do you have Microsoft Outlook? Because it has fairly good Spam remover. Where are you posting your email address that you are getting Spammed? I NEVER give out my email address, to anyone, I will use [email protected] if they require one. If you are posting on usenet with your REAL email address, that is a SUREFIRE way to pickup Spam. How much Spam are you getting?

Kevin_Graham

Stunt Coordinator
I never give my email address out. It's just for family and friends. It just seems odd that after more than a year of not receiving any spam email that I suddenly receive one whithin a week of setting up my new computer.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Did you ever receive, and respond to an email similar to the one I mentioned in this thread? That could lead to spammers getting your email address.
KJP

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, I did something stupid a few years ago. I had two email accounts setup through Outlook. One account, was my own personal account that I did not give out. The other was for web forms etc (I received quite a bit of spam to that address. Well, stupidly, I replied to a piece of spam to unregister my email account from thier spam list.

Ahh, but my default account was my private account, and I replied using it instead of the spam account. Ugh! Took about a week till I had spam on my private account. STUPID!

Oh well, your problem should not be due to the computer switch. At least I cannot think of anyway for your computer to transmit that kind of information - unless there is a Trojan involved.

C. Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks