What's new

Help me help someone not get bose (1 Viewer)

Ok my friend got a bose home theater sytem and i told him how its not really a good system. He wants to check out some other gear. I told him bose is mostly junk and you want some speakers with a flat response and low bass as well as mid bass.
Anyways hes probably in the under a $1000 range total. What links can you guys give me to some quality stuff that is better than bose and isnt to expensive. Hopefully with prices on the links. Help me out. Im just going to send him a list of links and let him go at it.
Thanks alot,
John

P.S. I was wondering if fluance is good stuff for the money?

AndyDC

Agent
I'm not arguing about the Bose, but that article doesn't seem very competent. The author does not seem to understand how to add the frequency response graphs from the different speakers to get the combined frequency response. It doesn't look like there is a dip of more than -3 at the cross-over point, contrary to what he says.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Ok well Bose and Nuance are both companys to stay away from. They are overpriced and use very bad material. Basically they make there money through mass advertising. People who know nothing about audio will say WOW! because they are so small and assume they are so great.

If you want to look in the $1000 range then here is what I suggest.

Klipsch component system such as:

Pair Klipsch SF-1 (floorstanding)
Klipsch SC-5 (Center)
Klipsch SS-5 (Rear surrounds)
Klipsch RW-8 Subwoofer or SVS subwoofer of your choice.

Harman/Kardon AVR-125 reciever. It is a bsic 5.1 reciever with excellent quality and won't let you down.

Hope this helps.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
There are some awesome deals on Polk right now (I guess they're discontinuing the rti line). For under $1000 he could easily get a 7.1 system with rti28s, a csi30 (center), and a sub.

- Cryo

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Yes, anything but Bose. There are so many good companies.

Paradigm, PSB, Energy, Mission, Athena, B&W, JBL, Polk Audio, Klipsch, Cambridge, Infinity, etc etc. There are many great companies who offer much better product for MUCH less money.

CuZ06

Agent
Real Name
JC
Boston Acoustics makes some nice theater systems.

I would Recommend the System 9000-2(something like that)..

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Graham's reccomendations are good, and I'll do my standard Paradigm plug. First, they are great sounding, great-value speakers. Tastes differ, and there are some other high-value speakers touted often, ascend, axiom, rocket, but it can be difficult to audition first. Which brings me to the second reason in recommend paradigm for beginners, is that they tend to have a "higher-end" dealer base, so you are usually(not always though) dealing with a good dealer who is knowledgeable and helpful(and found in the US). It's a great starting point, and then you can branch out from there. Always listen to as much as you can with your music, and it becomes VERY quickly obvious how much bose is left in the dust. What you choose in the end varies, but often paradigm is a good starting point. good luck :emoji_thumbsup:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
For $900 your friend can get the Rocket ELT system from AV123. I heard this recently in Dallas and it is very fine for primary HT use—it is good for music as well, but I see it more as an HT system, especially as the center speaker really handles HT duties so well.

Plus it looks great too.

If your friend is in the market for a receiver as well, they have a package deal right now with a Denon 1804 for $1,250.

Details can be found here.

LewB

Screenwriter
Let your ears do the walking. Go to a store that sells Bose and other speakers. Have the salesman do an A-B swap between the Bose rig and any other manufacturer's stuff that costs the same. Bose will lose every time.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't look like there is a dip of more than -3 at the cross-over point, contrary to what he says.

Look closely, that's a -5dB gap between the sub and mains... actually it looks more like 6.

Plus, that's a nasty +6dB hump at about 3KHz.

I've never measured Bose, so I can't say how accurate that response curve is.. but, based on what I've heard with my own ears, it's probably pretty close. Also, the response doesn't represent the quality of sound coming out. :)

AndyDC

Agent
I think that's the same error as made by the author, though I would be most happy to be educated.

Don't you have to add the two curves together, not just superimpose them? For example, consider the point where they cross, where each speaker is -6db. I thought that if you added two identical SPL levels (eg when you add a second sub identical to the first), the result would be 3db higher than either of the two you are adding. (You can work out the math by going back to the definition of db and remembering about logs and stuff, but I really don't want to try to reproduce it here.) So if each of the mains and the "sub" is 6 db down, the combination is (only) 3db down.

The +6 hump is another issue.

Oh, and the quality of sound is of course another issue. I'm talking about that article, not defending Bose.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Don't you have to add the two curves together, not just superimpose them?
Yaknow.. I've looked at that curve and never really thought about it that way. Interesting.

What we need is a curve representing the system as a whole. I wonder if my brother would allow me to borrow his acoustimass. :)

I'm a Bose-hater trapped in a Bose-loving family. :)

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
My father has a brand new Bose system $3000 normally (He got it for free from a relative, go figure). I've got the Microphone parts from digikey on the way from Wayne J's site (speakerbuilder.net) so I'll be assembling my system for reading curves soon.

If someone can recommend a good peice of software to do the sweep and record that's freeware then I'll be glad to post up some results of his system once I get the mic built (a couple weeks probably).

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I believe that they can't simply be superimposed but need to be added in much the same way as adding a sub to your system. There is a pronounced bump but then some might call that 'presence' ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks