What's new

Help Me, Help Myself! (1 Viewer)

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I am currently in the process of considering changing my speakers. I currently have Klipsch RF3,RS3,RC3 speakers paired with a onkyo 898 receiver and svs sub. I have the opportunity to get the M&K S-150 THX Center and Fronts for $1500.00. I would have to get the rears as well at about $800.00. My other option is the Swan Divas 6.1 package. I have heard alot about the Diva being good for music but what about HT as that is about 90% of the intended use. I haven't read alot about the M&K speakers. Is that because people aren't using them? I like the Klipsch for HT but paired with the Onkyo they are a little too bright for me. Please let me know what you think as I have about $2400.00 in the budget for speakers. I know what you are thinking already of why don't you get a different receiver or seperates...That is in the master plan but I want to spend a little more when I do get them and I can get a pretty good deal on the M&K's right now. If you had to choose what would you go with.....M&K's or Swan Divas?

David Cerfolio

Auditioning
I have the S-150 system with SS-250 surrounds and a MX-350 sub. It is great for home theater (I use it as a dedicated home theater system) but not as good as my Thiel 3.5's for music. The price you quote is a good one....I have been happy with my S-150 system.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Bob,
That's an excellent price on the M&Ks and they make fine speakers with a great warranty. Since 90% of your listening is for HT you should be fine.
I too am very interested in the Diva's but I'd really like to hear them first. I think they're absolutely gorgeous speakers and I've heard nothing but good things about them. If you're interested in an audition, check out one of the links at www.audioenvy.com/diva/ . They will let you know if there are any owners nearby who are willing to give auditions. It may take a couple of days for them to get back to you so be patient. There's no one in Alaska that owns them so I'm SOL.

RichardG

Auditioning
Just curious as to why you are getting rid of the klipsch. I don't own them but I have read that they are excellent speakers by numerous sources and have heard them at the local store. I think the klipsch are excellent but hey, everyone gets in the mood to upgrade every once in awhile. I too am looking into the swan diva. If you decided to go with the swan then you'll have a whole other issue to contend with, which diva model to get, 4.1, 5.1 or the 6.1. But since you use home theater 90 percent of the time, the c3, 5.1, and r3 would be your best timbre matched system for home theater. Hope this saves a lot of trouble trying to make your decisions.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
If the Klipsch are too bright, I would look for a Diva audition. They are not bright speakers. They have a very wide soundstage and image a few feet behind themselves.

You can listen to them for hours.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Speakers for Music vs HT:
I asked a salesman once about the difference and his answer was fairly profound and seems to hold true:
A good music speaker will do fine for HT, but great HT speakers are not always great with music.
This is why some suprisingly inexepensive Home Theaters in a Box (HTB's) provide a great movie experience. When in doubt, you should take some familar music with you for auditions.
Speaker Selection: Tastes in speakers are like tastes in ice-cream: what I like may not be what you like. This is why it is very hard to answer "What is a better speaker: X or Y?" You really need to to your own "taste test" by auditioning them yourself.
M&K Speakers: If you know about M&K, you know they started out by making subwoofers for production studios and selling mainly to the industry. They have added some fine THX speakers and are trying to sell to consumers. They are not very popular - but they dont have the distribution/advertising of other brands. In general, they are considered very good speakers.
I did not like them very much because they are THX certified which gives them a narrow horizontal throw. This means you can hear the sound change as you sit on the floor, sit on the couch or stand up. This is not acceptiable to me with my large family and odd seating in my home. If you have more precise/uniform seating and can do a good job with positioning they will give you an outstanding music & HT experience.
Since they are trying to be "accurate", they will be a lot mellower/laid-back than your Klipsch.
Good Luck.

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
If you like Klipsch and the RF-3's are a little too bright, then give the RF-5's a demo. The RF-5's are smoother and not as forward as the RF-3's. I had the same setup RF-3's, RC-3 and RS-3's and I was beginning to feel the same way about the RF-3's. I upgraded to the RF-5's and an RC-7. Sold the RC-3 and moved the RF-3's to the rear surround channels to complete a 7.1 setup. If you like them then you'll only need to buy 2 speakers and maybe a center channel.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I really can't decide what to do.:frowning: One minute I'm happy and the next I want to upgrade. I liked the sound of the Klipsch speakers when paired to my Denon. I have since switched to an Onkyo and I just think that they are a little too bright with music for me. I guess that I could use the 898 as a pre-pro and get a good 2 channel amp.:rolleyes

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,

Amps will make a slight difference even larger if you switch between solid state and tubes. I've tried the Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080, Carver 400T, Harman Kardon PA5800, PA2400 and a Dynaco ST70(tube amp). Each one had a slightly different sound. I preferred the Harman Kardons and that's what I'm currently using. I still have the Dynaco, but rarely use it and when I do it's only for music.

If I could make a suggestion it would be to settle your speakers first. Otherwise down the road you'll be reluctant to try different electronics because of the brightness issue. I found myself doing the same thing.

Upgrading my front 3 speakers made the biggest difference of everything I've tried and rightfully so. I use to use my system almost entirely for home theater, but after upgrading my speakers I've found myself wanting to listen to more and more music. At this point I feel that for me that provided the best benefit.

Good luck with your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks