Help Me Help My Grandmother - Webcam Related

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Greg Haynes, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Issue: My grandmother is not doing so good with her old age (88) and lives by herself. Recently I picked up 8 Logitech 4000 webcams to be sent out to family (locally and out-of-state) that would like to watch her to make sure shes doing okay and to communicate with her if she is feeling lonely.

Goal: Find software that will allow us to monitor her throughout the day via internet and then be able to talk to her allowing her to see us and us to see her. I would need to find software that will allow little to no interaction on her end since she is complety computer illiterate. What software out there will allow broadcasts and video conferencing to happen without too much interaction on her end. She will have a broadband connection.

Logitech owners what software have you tried out that will fit my goal. I don't think the bundled software that comes with cams will work. I appreciate any help.

2. Erik*R

Erik*R Agent

There are many free/cheap java based apps.. what she would need is a high speed cable or dsl connection. The download speed really doesnt matter it is the UPLOAD that does. The higher you get the better. On the low end look for 384k which is roadrunner speed.

All you need then is to hook up the cameras into her house and connect them to a PC on a UPS system.

Even better is if you go for a home network at her place and buy a few of those Axis 2100 Network Cameras (about $300-$600 each new). All you would with those cameras would be a highspeed modem and router. You would just plug the cameras into the router via Ethernet and there you go.

Downside to the Network Cameras is there is no interaction. She wont be able to see you like she would if you do the PC solution.

You should be able to Wire her house up for less than $5000 with either solution.

hope that helps.

3. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Thanks Erik for the quick response.

Unfortunately, I don't have the budget for what you recommended. I will be using Comcast which I believe is 3Mps down / 256Kps Up. Which as you can see is not the greatest upload at all. I will check to see Verizon DSL is available since they offer 768Kps Upload.

Can you point me in the right direction for some of this software? And let me know how we can conference in with her at anytime with no interaction with her?

4. Erik*R

Erik*R Agent

truetech.com/webcam/freeware.html

that would be one of the free ones.

im at work when i get home ill look up some of the ones ive used in the past.