Help me help him ...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JohnathanB, Jul 1, 2004.

1. JohnathanB

Okay, so my dad wants me to help him put a small home theater system together. He has lower end DLP projector. He needs a full audio system (spkrs, receiver, dvd player, etc)

Now...I hope your sitting down. I will try to stay calm myself. He tells me he doesn't want to go over $500. I did my best to not laugh in his face...I love the old guy. He just doesn't get it.

What can I do to help him (besides tell him to get a clue)

Should I just tell him to go to Costco or BestBuy and get a Theater in a Box? Is there ANYTHING I can suggest to him that might be close to $500...say a dvd, receiver, 5.1 spker system for say...$600? His room is only 17 x 22. What can I recommend to him that will be reliable and he will really be happy with for 600 or less?

All tips and help are greatly appreciated.

John

2. Jack Briggs

Hi there, Johnathan:

When asking about assembling complete audio systems, post in A/V Sources. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, not for asking about specific purchase recommendations.

Good luck on your formidable task.

3. Drew_W

Wow. I don't even know what to recommend. The whole home theatre experience revolves around being immersed in picture and sound. Picture sounds good, a DLP projector is excellent. And now audio for $500.

Standard advice from me: A good 2-channel setup is much better than a mediocre surround setup. Surround is going to be damn near impossible (including a DVD player!!) for that price.

Here's what I'd do (with a stretched budget):

1) Get a refurb Denon DVD player at ecost.com. A 900 (last year's) runs $90, this year's 910 around $110. Faroudja DCDi and what not, solid player, 90 day warranty from Denon, should be fine.

2) Get a decent surround sound receiver. Denon/Marantz/Pioneer Elite...there's someone on the forums selling a Pioneer Elite 45TX for $500. It's last year's model, but is a 7 channel monster for that price, and it looks real perdy. I've seen 43s on audiogon for $400. A refurb Denon 2803 (same thing as in #1, 90 day warranty from Denon) at ecost runs $425. Even one of the new Yamahas may not be out of reach, but I don't know pricing...

3) Start with a stereo pair of speakers. I like buying speakers new, but that's just my preference. Paradigm Monitor 5/7s, Energy Connoisseur C5/7, Athena ASF1/2 (not with Yamaha though, that's something of a bright combination). Good stereo performance will beat good 5 speaker satellite systems, in my books anyways.

4) Cables. 10% rule, shouldn't cost too much. $50-75 maybe if you buy smart?

If he can double his budget, and you can explain to him that this will put him on the path to a true home theatre (all he needs is a sub, centre, and surrounds, and I'd buy them in that order), this would be a much better investment than plunking down $500 on a complete setup that will not give you the complete H/T experience.

4. Joe Szott

Johnathan-

If he's plunking down for a DLP projector, he's obviously got a taste for quality. I would tell him that he's going to get 10x the sound if he can do $1000 for the audio setup instead of $500, then hunt around for some deals on different pieces. I would suggest a good HTiB setup like Onix's Tykes for $500, then get a receiver, a decent DVD player, and some cables with the other $500.

Otherwise, he's just shortchanging himself too much.