Help me get rid of this one pop-up

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I use Pop-Up Stopper and Spybot, but there is one persistant pop-up that will not go away (it's an ad for "Internet Cleaner", which is, of course, a pop-up stopper).

If I leave the PC on overnight, the next morning there will be 50+ of these windows open on the screen.

Short of re-installing XP, how can I eliminate this crap?

Thanks,

Jon

2. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Go into Services and stop the Messenger service and disable it. This is not MSN Messenger -- it is a diagnostic service that is being exploited by spammers.

3. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Yes, this sounds like a pop-up that is expointing the messenger terminal in windows.

1. Go to run
    2. type services.msc
    3. find the service named messenger
    4. right click and click the pull down box and hit disable where it says enabled
    5. exit out

Problem fixed.

4. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I've disabled messenger, to no effect.

Shoot the Messenger, apparently, simply disables messenger.

Any other ideas?

thanks,

Jon

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Did you stop the service as well as disable it? Disable will make it not start on the next boot of your system but doesn't stop it from running during the same session you are already on.

May be a silly question [​IMG] but if you're like me and rarely reboot, messenger may still be running.

There are some excellent anti-spyware tools here: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.html

Not self-explanatory but worth running. You can run hijackthis to look at what your system has installed or cwshredder to get rid of CWS, if that should be your culprit. These tools aren't safe, in that you can do damage to your system if you start deleting stuff willy nilly; you need to know what you're doing to use them properly.

Once you've done that, change browsers to something a bit less hijackable than IE... [​IMG]

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Yep, re-booted many a time, and the window still pops up.

Under CONTROL PANEL > ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS > SERVICES, Messenger says "Disabled".

Any other advice?

Jon

7. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

This is still driving me crazy - anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jon

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

What firewall are you running?

9. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ok, I'm going to assume you've run ad-aware (http://www.lavasoft.de/) or Spybot recently with updated definitions, yes?

10. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton

I switched from IE to MyIE2 and I have had ZERO popups of any kind. This browser looks like regular IE but has many more enhanced features. Very easy to use and best of all, no PopUps!

11. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

12. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I had a similar problem not too long ago and I had to change over from a regular boot to selective startup so I could disable some apps that were running on boot.

More than likely you've got some non-legit background app running that is allowing these popups. Could have installed with anything at any time.

Go to Start/Run and type in msconfig.exe

Click the button for "selective startup". Click the "startup" tab and uncheck all that you're not familiar with. There's more than likely something there that's causing the problem.

13. Mike Wilk

Mike Wilk Stunt Coordinator

You could always find the executable "MSMSGS.exe" and renamed it to something like _MSMSGS.exe.

YMMV

14. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Or maybe just go ahead and buy "Internet Cleaner".[​IMG] I couldn't resist.

15. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

You can download the Google Toolbar, which would also block the pop up. But if I was you'd I'd want to get rid of this instead of just having a pop up stopper stop it.

16. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    I was getting a lot of annoying popups, especially one called "searching the search engines" whenever I did a google search. I contacted the link at the bottom of that popup and they told me to uninstall some program called, as I recall, ieafeatsl, or something like that. I still get the same google popup but it cut down on a lot of the other ones I was seeing. Maybe see if you have something like that installed?