What's new

Help me get into Sinatra (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
OK, I'm ashamed to admit this but I have over 700 CD/SACD's and don't own a single thing by Sinatra.

It's not that I don't like the guy, I do. But the wealth of material he has out there is a little overwhelming and I have never decided to investigate what's good...I'll leave that to you guys.

One song that I love that I believe he sings is that tune that goes..."Someday, when I'm oftly low...when the world is cold...I get a glow just thinking of you...and the way you look tonight."..

I believe that's Sinatra, but it could be Tony Bennett, not sure. I cannot believe how ignorant I am in regards to one of the world's all time best crooners.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions of a good compliation or some of his best selections? My only requirement is that it contains that one song (if that's even him) and that the recording is at least above average.

Thanks.

Sathyan

Second Unit
The name of that song is "The Way you look tonight" by Jerome Kern for the movie Swing Time. It's on Sinatra: Greatest Love Songs (Warner, 2002) but IMHO the definitive version is performed by Fred Astaire. The only Sinatra I have (on LP) titled "Main Event" which is pretty good but doesn't have that song.

Either here or at AVS I saw something about a Sinatra SACD or DVD-A being relesed you may wish to investigate that

gregD

Second Unit
Go for the compilations . . . .

1940s -- Frank Sinatra Sings His Greatest Hits -- Columbia

1950s -- The Best of Frank Sinatra - The Capitol Years -- Capitol

60s-70s -- Sinatra Reprise - The Very Good Years -- Reprise (contains 'The Way You Look Tonight')

The Chairman was great ! ! ! ! . . . but my favorite Frank will always be Zappa.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I second "Sinatra Reprise: The Very Good Years". This cd has just about every one of his main hits from his years with Reprise.

I like Frank, but everyone knows Dino's better and Tony's too hip for the room! :D

TomCW

Second Unit
There was a time I woulda loved to get into Nancy...
But that was in another life.:D
Tom

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan, definitely consider compilations. However, two CDs I highly recommend are out-of-print DCC gold CDs mastered by Steve Hoffman. One is entitled Sinatra '57 -- In Concert. The other is The Summit -- In Concert. On The Summit, Sinatra performs with Dean Martin and Sammy Davis, Jr. Both discs are of great live performances, and the sound quality is excellent. Although these discs are out of print, they can still be found at Circuit City, Barnes & Noble, and Borders. Take a look at these stores. You may find them!

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
"Frank and Count Basie did a great record together. I am pretty sure it is on cd"

Sinatra Live At The Sands with Count Basie from 1966. Big band sound, arranged by Quincy Jones. Dyn-o-mite!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'll second Sinatra Reprise: The Very Good Years, and also recommend Frank Sinatra: The Capitol Collector's Series for compilation CD's. The latter covers his Capitol Records career, with recordings from 1953 - 1960.

If I could only have one Sinatra disc, though, it would be "Reprise: The Very Good Years".

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have been a casual fan of Frank Sinatra for over 35 years or more. In my opinion, his song It Was a Very Good Year is one of the greatest pop songs of all time. My son even got into Frank after hearing this song on the Sopranos soundtrack.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rick said:

Sinatra Live At The Sands with Count Basie from 1966. Big band sound, arranged by Quincy Jones. Dyn-o-mite!
Live At The Sands is supposed to be coming out on DVD-Audio, though a definite release date has not been announced according to ICE.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm somewhat of an obsessive collector and have over 40 Sinatra Discs.

4 Disc Columbia Boxset
12 Disc Capitol Concepts Box Set
5 Disc Sinatra in Hollywood Set
20 Disc complete Reprise
+ several miscellaneous

Recently I've seen a 2 disc set called "The Very Best of Frank Sinatra" on Reprise and was very impressed with the track listing. Although I prefer the Capitol years, I would highly reccomend the above set and it includes one of my favorites "The Tender Trap"

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
Four words: Live At The Sands

I know it's been mentioned above. Just let me provide an underscore.

It's the perfect distillation of Francis Albert's career, with a few funny stories, to boot.

"Dean bought his mother-in-law a house..."

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sinatra is not unlike Elvis. In the same way that 90 per cent of Elvis's best work was from his pre-army days, Sinatra did his best stuff whilst at Capitol, and what followed was increasingly an anti-climax. If you want Sinatra as the increasingly bloated misogynistist with fading voice, then go for his stuff from the 1960s or later. To capture the real magic, go for his work at Capitol. The following albums should be in anyone's collection who has any claim to be serious about popular music:

In the Wee Small Hours
Sinatra Sings ... Only For the Lonely
Songs for Swingin' Lovers
Come Fly With Me

Try something like 'You make me feel so young' from Songs for Swingin' Lovers - the timing, the phrasing, the subtle bending of notes is jaw-droppingly brilliant. Now compare with the slightly out of tune unsubtle swagger of a latter day hit like 'New York, New York' and weep at how far Sinatra fell by not retiring when the going was good.

gregD

Second Unit

Don't entirely agree with that assessment, but no question FS hit his peak in the 50s at Capitol.

But to go along with your line of reasoning, I'd suggest giving his catalog from the 40s at Columbia a serious listen as well... for a young up-and-comer, FS demonstrates startling, energetic chops... and if you like standards, this is the era where many of them originated.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Recently I've seen a 2 disc set called "The Very Best of Frank Sinatra" on Reprise and was very impressed with the track listing.
I have eight Sinatra CD's, and Eric's recommendation above is, by far, what I suggest you purchase. I listened to this set practically exclusively for months after I bought it.

I also love 'The Tender Trap', buy my favorites are 'In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning' and, especially, 'Fly Me To the Moon'. (FMTTM rocks harder than any gee-tar band you'll ever hear)

Check it out!

Jon

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jon, WOW that is a great track listing on that two disc set. Unbeknownst to me, I know a lot of those songs from the various Diana Krall albums I have so this transition to Sinatra should be easy! I knew the Krall songs were standard covers, but I didn't realize so many of them were old blue eyes'!

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Evan, I'm an old rock-n-roller who just got into Sinatra 3 or 4 years ago. I still haven't tired of his stuff.

Post back and let us know what you get and what you think. When listenting, pay attention not just to his (incredible) vocals, but the kick-ass orchestral arrangements as well (Fly Me To the Moon, The Way You Look Tonight, My Kind of Town, Come Fly with Me, etc. etc.)

Have fun!

Jon

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
...kick-ass orchestral arrangements...
That's a problem for me, I don't enjoy having my ass kicked by the brass section. But, Nelson Riddle and Sinatra were often in the same studio.
There is a reason Frank recorded Night and Day more than any other song. Check it out, and think of his voice as another instrument....a cello.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If you want to dip your toe in to see what the Capitol Years were about, the single disc Capitol Collectors Series (also recommended by Scott) is still one of the best sounding CDs out there. You can find it really cheap used, too.

There's no way that one 20-track disc will cover it all, but it's a nice sampler.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks