Help me get a clear picture!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Kaski, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Aaron Kaski

Aaron Kaski Auditioning

Hello everyone, I recently bought a new TV, a 27" Samsung TXM2756X and I am having trouble getting a clear picture. I have a basic cable connection and it is connected directly to the TV from the wall jack via a 20 foot cable since the TV is on the opposite side of the room. I know it’s not the TV itself causing the poor picture because I hooked it up in my living room and got a good picture. I tried replacing the cable with a new cable of the same quality and that helped a little...then I moved the TV out a foot or two and then back to its place to connect a new DVD player and now the reception is back where it started. Most of the channels look fine, but there are some (the channels I watch the most of course) that come in very poorly. I was going to get a higher quality cable, and replace the wall jack with one of those gold ones (if that will make any difference). What would you guys suggest? What is a good cable to get and where is a good place to get it. I was looking at this cable on ebay...Let me know what you guys and gals think. Thanks!
    Aaron K.

2. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Check the cable coming to wall(from where it enters your house, gets split, then goes to your particular outlet).

All cable should be RG6(best quality). Also, you can call your cable company out to do a signal strength test(free) and that should tell ya. Or go buy a inexpensive cable amp at Home Depot or an electronics store and try that. One last thing, a good quality splitter can make a difference.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well that certainly suggests its a connection problem. since the tv works fine in one room and replacing the cable run from the jack to the tv didn't cure the problem, that suggests the jack, the cable from the jack, and possibly the splitter may be at fault. First of all, if your cable service includes the rental for the lines, you can have them come in and take care of the problem for you. Otherwise, you could either opt for replacing the components in the chain. Another approach, if you're so inclined, is to cut a section of the wire off yourself and reterminate it properly. This will expose a fresh section of copper. Afterwards, tighten the reterminated (or new) cable securely to the jack and the splitter by hand and then give a 1/8 turn or so by wrench to further secure it.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I agree with Chu.
    My best guess is that behind that wall plate, or somewhere in the signal path is a loose connector or some old coax.
    Un-screw the wall-plate and pull out the wire into the room. Un-screw the "F" connector and examine the center-wire. Is it dull-brown/oxidized? If so, do you have enough slack to cut the end off and install a new connector exposing fresh copper? If not, try GENTLY scraping the center wire with a knife to clean it up.
    When you re-install, use a wrench. Loose connectors are the number one cause of poor signal quality and CATV service calls.
    Trace the CATV coax all the way from the outside to your TV. Examine/replace/tighten every break you find.
    Yes, new coax like the Carol coax could help if you replace some old coax. But you said you already used some new coax for between the TV and the wall so I don't think the Carol product will help.
    Something you said caught my attention:

5. Spiro A

Spiro A Agent

AARON I WAS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM ON ALL MY TVS AND THIS IS
    WHAT CURED IT
    1: REPLACED 5 WAY SPILTER NOT THOSE CHEESEY GOLD RCA ONES
    BUT THE ONES LOCKED UP AT HOME DEPOT FOR THE SAME PRICE THIR
    MORE BETTER QUALITY AND EVEN THE CABLE CO. USES THEM
    2: ON THE SPILTER THERE IS A GROUND SCREW GET SOME GOOD WIRE
    AND CONNECT IT TO YOUR GROUND IN YOUR BREAKER BOX THIS WILL
    CLEAN UP YOUR PICTURE PLUS CHECK ALL LOOSE CONNECTS
    I BASICLY RUN FIVE TVS ALL AT ONCE YOU DONT NEED NO