Help me find the best cables for a decent price.....

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Daniel Becker, May 28, 2003.

1. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

I just picked up a Sony 725p DVD the other day and i'm needing to buy some component cables so I can hook this baby up to my Sony 36HS500 next Monday when I finally take delivery on it! [​IMG] So, without breaking the bank any further can you guys give me some reccomendations on good cables for a nice price?

I was in a couple stores over the weekend and saw some new "THX" cables. Anyone heard much about them? Also, i've seen "Acoustic Research" at a few places and they are made by "recoton". They had a 3' component for $24.99. Does that sound like a bad deal? I'm also in need a of an optical cable. Again, i'd like to spend as little as possible on both. I only need them to be a few feet at the most and i'd like to get both cables for less than $50 if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dan.Becker

2. Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke Stunt Coordinator

I am going to give bluejeanscable.com a shot. Many people recommend them, and their price is fair. (6 foot component for $45) Some people will recommend bettercables.com, but the price is way out of my reach.... (2M component for $130). I am sure the bettercables are probably "better", but I just can't justify spending that much...

Kimo B.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Don't remember if they have 3ft lengths, but you could try either www.cablesforless.com or www.surfremotecontrol.com. They should both be significantly cheaper than local dealers for the cables you're looking at. I've bought stuff from both before w/ good results. The latter is actually run/owned by a very helpful and responsive forum member, MikeSRC.

_Man_

4. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

Thanks guys. Do any of you actually know if these cables have a good reputation though?

Dan.B

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    The ones suggested by Kimo seem to have very good reputation amongst videophiles. The AR series cables seem to enjoy pretty good rep also, especially amongst less expensive cables. So far, I haven't heard anything bad about any of them.

Many of us HTFers think other very expensive "boutique" cables are just that and probably not much more than pure marketing hype. Some HTFers even make their own cables from the same high quality materials as those used by bluejeanscable.com and bettercables.com. Apparently, the materials are available very cheaply in bulk. You just need to be handy enough to do it yourself. Of course, making it look like designer/boutique cables will add to the effort. [​IMG]

_Man_

6. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Outlaw has some quality cables at a reasonable price.
    www.outlawaudio.com

Another option is to pick up "open box" Monster cables at Best Buy. Usual discount is ~50% which is about what they are worth.

Tom

7. WadeSc.

WadeSc. Auditioning

Radio Shack has good cables for decent prices (Gold Series). Even cheaper is pacificcable.com and I have read good things about them in other forums.