Help me find some slapstick for my son...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dave Poehlman, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I have a 4 year old boy who just falls on the floor laughing at slapstick and physical comedy.

I have to rewind the part in the Wizard of Oz where Ray Bolger smacks his thumb with the hammer about 5 or 6 times. [​IMG]

Anyway.. I found a Three Stooges DVD on the discount rack... however, I'm a little apprehensive about showing it to him because a good portion of the physical comedy is malicious. (Moe poking Curly in the eyes, etc...)

Can anyone recommend any good, "clean", slapstick?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Most of the classic silent comidies have a great deal of slapstick. Pick up some Buster Keaton (you could probably run through the storm sequence in Steamboat Bill, Jr. a dozen times in succession before your son tires of it). If you are not familiar with the film, this is where the wind blows the wall of a house over—it falls on Keaton and he survives because an upper story, open window just happens to fall over him—it goes on.

Of course Stan and Ollie are always good for a physical laugh (think of the piano movers), as are the Marx Brothers—at four he won’t get the one-liners, but the crowd in the stateroom is pure gold.

Chaplin, of course has any number of bits, based on slapstick.

3. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    I second the Marx Brothers! Of course, then you'd have Groucho's issues with women to explain to him...

"I could dance with you till the cows come home. On second thought, I'd rather dance with the cows till you come home."[​IMG]

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Why are we fighting? We're fighting for this woman's honor--which is more than she ever did.

Ok Dad, this is for you. But there is plenty for your son in Duck Soup as well.

5. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

The Our Gang/Little Rascal comedies are great fun for kids.

6. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    If you're going to try the Marx Brothers, I'd recommend Monkey Business (1931). I remember seeing it for the first time when I was 10 and I loved it, especially the scene where they're trying to get off the ship and each one pretends to be Maurice Chevalier, even Harpo who doesn't talk. (It's a lot funnier than it sounds.)

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

How about Home Alone? Might be a bit too violent, but if it gets your approval I suspect your son will laugh his head off!