What's new

Help me find some GOOD Vampire movies (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Vampire can probably be gotten from any of the Hong Kong DVD outlets. However, having just watched it (Netflix rental), I can't recommend a purchase unless its very cheap. The hopping vampire stuff is very funny, and the climatic battle is pretty good, but too much of the film's runtime is taking up with the annoying antics of two bumbling assistant vampire hunters. The movie could have used more hopping vampires and a couple more fight scenes.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Steve Schaffer wrote (post #32):

Well, if you're going to bring good taste into it . . . . I won't suggest a personal (guilty?) pleasure of mine entitled The Vampire
http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:52165 (a.k.a., The Mark of the Vampire) (UA, 1957). It might be considered "cheesy" by today's standards, but it has a few really creepy scenes that every vampire-movie---or general horror-movie---lover should see. I don't know about this year, but last year it was shown multiple times on TCM (cable), especially around Hallowe'en. It's not available on DVD, and I don't know whether that's an oversight by MGM/UA or by Warner HV. (I assume as a UA picture that MGM/UA retains its homevideo rights. Warner probably got the cablecast rights in the big movie deal of several years ago.) It would be great for the former's "Midnight Movies" series.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to everybody that has contributed to this thread!

I usually screen horror movies at my house on Halloween, and there have been some real gems in this thread that I may have to show. If nothing else, there are plenty of movies here to keep my weekends full over the next couple of months.

There is one more movie that I will add to the list.

Trouble Every Day - A recent film by Claire Denis featuring Vincent Gallo and Beatrice Dalle. I'm not sure if this film is about vampires or cannibals, because you are only presented with characters who are trying to cope with an insatiable blood lust. The film is beautifully shot, and the acting is quite good. Check out the trailer.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
This is a bit off-topic, but one movie that is hardly ever mentioned in any forum I belong to is an obsure film made in the '70s named "Cannibal Ferox." This has got to be the goriest movie I have ever seen and should NOT be seen by ANYONE with a weak stomach. If you are into horror movies though, this is a must see.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Thanks a ton for that link, gonna have to check into some new ones on that list... anyone know anything about:
Le Rouge aux Levres, Embrace of the Vampire (Bad Alyssa Milano soft core movie?), The Girl with the Hungry Eyes, The Nightstalker or To Sleep with a Vampire?

Le Rouge aux Levres seems to have come out from Anchor Bay (twice?) as Daughters of Darkness- onces as a SE? I wondered what the difference between the two discs is...

What about the Herzog remake of Nosferatu? I remember there being something weird with the DVD release- some reason to avoid it? Anyone know?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
What about the Herzog remake of Nosferatu? I remember there being something weird with the DVD release- some reason to avoid it? Anyone know?
Just make sure to get the 2-disc version. The first put the English and German releases on a single disc and was over-compressed.

As for the Buffy movie, it bears little resemblance to the TV series. It's somewhat entertaining, but not great. Worth a rental.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
"This is a bit off-topic, but one movie that is hardly ever mentioned in any forum I belong to is an obsure film made in the '70s named "Cannibal Ferox." This has got to be the goriest movie I have ever seen and should NOT be seen by ANYONE with a weak stomach. If you are into horror movies though, this is a must see."

Oh no, not THAT movie again. Not only does it have NOTHING to do with vampires or ANY of the qualities Vince outlined at the start of this thread, it DOES have scenes of real life animals being tortured - right? A tortise having its limbs systematically hacked off? I would never rent or buy a movie like that, because I would never want to support such a thing financially, and I would never recommend it to anyone either. Everyone has a right to their opinion but for me this raises ethical questions that can't be ignored. I like horror movies and gore as much as anyone but I just don't like to see actual suffering, (human OR animal) disguised as "entertainment." Hardly a "must see."

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
No mention of Polanski's Fearless Vampire Killer (Polanski, Sharon Tate)?? Or did I miss it?

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
No, you're the first to bring it up, Steve. I haven't seen it, though I love Polanski's stuff. (It's plural, by the way: "Killers.")

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Larry, thanks for the correction, for a long time, TFVK was only on LD, but I THINK it was just released on DVD fairly recently (within the last few months). It is quite different than most of Polanski's movies, but enjoyable and I think that's where Polanksi hooked up with his late wife Tate.

TedT

Second Unit
I liked Near Dark.

While most people hated it, I thought it was brilliant how they got to the origin of Dracula in Dracula 2000. Very cool and an original take on things.

Fright Night was pretty cool too.

DavidHos

Auditioning
Vince,

I definently third (or fourth) Nosferatu, though a silent, I found it quite creepy. Along the same lines , you've got to check out Shadow of the Vampire. A recent film starring Willem DeFoe. It's a film about the making of Nosferatu wher Max Shreck (DeFoe) really is a a vampire. I really felt DeFoe nailed this part. Definitely check it out.

DAve

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

got both, wondering about the DVD for the remake of Nosferatu-- I remember reading something that made me avoid that DVD-- trying to figure out if there was a problem...

DavidHos

Auditioning
I belive your thinking of Nosferatu the Vampyre with Klaus Kinski as Nosferatu. I have that one also. I don't remember anything wrong with it (the DVD if that is what you may have been remembering) but for some reason it didn't make much of an impression with me. Maybe I need to watch it again, I only watched it (most of it) once about a year ago. But what I do remember, I would say rent it first. YMMV.

Dave

DavidHos

Auditioning
Another one you may want to rent first is Razor Blade Smile. It is a low budget B film (which I seem to be attracted to) I liked but gets a lot of mixed reviews. Some really like it, some really hate it. It has, at least, an intersting plot going for it. A vampire of old becomes a hired killer of today. Different (but very low budget).

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks