What's new

Help me find a very hard-to-find Windows 2000 driver for a Compaq Presario. (1 Viewer)

Fredrik E

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I admit it, I'm using a Compaq Presario 5670 and I would like to find a Windows 2000 driver for the onboard LAN, a.k.a. the
"PCI Fast Ethernet DEC 21143 Based Adapter"
This driver is really hard to find, if it even exists.
Similar drivers do not work. Some time ago I disabled the onboard LAN and installed a separate network card instead, which worked fine in Windows 2000 of course.
But today I decided to install Service Pack 2 and removed the separate card, hoping that Service Pack 2 would have drivers for the onboard adapter, but it didn't work.
Please, help me find a driver ! :)
The funny thing is that Windows 2000 could detect this onboard adapter on a co-workers Compaq. He has the exact same computer, but maybe his network adapter is of a later revision.

Tim Brewers

Agent
Go to www.driverguide.com and login in with login:drivers/pass:all do a search for DEC 21143 There are a few posted, give them a try. also try to disable PCI Bus in the Bios and restart. See if that works.
Brew

Fredrik E

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you very much. I disabled the PCI bus and now the onboard LAN works in Windows 2000 ! :)
But what does this mean, exactly ? Does this literally mean that my PCI bus is now totally disabled and unusable, and I can't use my PCI Voodoo 2 ? ( :))
Or, can I now enable the PCI again and still use the onboard LAN ?

Tim Brewers

Agent
Well, to be honest I don't know. :) I am passing along a tip from someone who had the same problem. Now I am assuming you are using the computer already, so I am guessing your PCI video card is working correctly. Now if you want to, you could try to enable your PCI bus again and see if the computer will still recognize the on-board NIC. I am not familiar with your mobo, but I am assuming if you disable the PCI bus in your bios you are simply telling the computer to allow Windows to manage the PCI addresses and IRQ's, instead of the bios setting them. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Brew

Fredrik E

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm not using the Voodoo 2 right now, the drivers aren't loaded, but at least the VGA pass through works, because I can post this message. :)
Quote:
"I am not familiar with your mobo, but I am assuming if you disable the PCI bus in your bios you are simply telling the computer to allow Windows to manage the PCI addresses and IRQ's, instead of the bios setting them"
Yeah, that's probably what the disabling does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks