What's new

Help me find a sub or subs for my room!! (long post) (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
In about 6 months I will be moving into a new construction house and I would like 1 or 2 new subs to go with it. I'm not leaning toward any particular subs. Of course there are a number of companies that interest me: Paradigm, SVS, HSU, Adire, and Acoustic Visions to name a few.

Could you guys please recommend one or two subs that I should consider. I really don't want to spend more than $2000. I have a couple of months until I can purchase one, so I am willing to wait for new models like perhaps the Paradigm Ref. Servo 15 v3, new SVS etc.

What I want out of the sub or subs:
1.I want to be able to play movies at reference volume with out the sub bottoming out.
2.I also want the sub to be able to extend to the lowest possible hz without bottoming out.
3.I want to be able to really feel the bass. Basically, I want the sub or subs to be able to handle whatever I throw at it without flinching at reference level.:)

Room:
My room will be about 20’9” x 15’8” with a vaulted ceiling and two fairly large openings to the room. I don’t think there will be a space to put the sub in a corner. The sub will be placed somewhere directly across from the 11’9 wall in the great room. The room will be about 4000 cu-ft, I think.

I've emailed Tom @ SVS and he suggested dual 20-39PC+ subs, but that was before the PB2+ was out. Would dual PB2+ be the best option? Can these play low? What about when the Ultra PC is released?

I also emailed Kyle @ Acoustic Visions but, I never heard back.

Equipment:
Pre/Pro: Sony DA 5ES

Amp: Sherbourn 7/2100

Speakers: Paradigm Reference Studio 100s x two, Studio 20s x four, and a Studio CC.

Innerconnects: Outlaw PCA

Speaker cable: Monster XP throughout

Surge protector/line filter: Brickwall PW2RAUD

CD Player: Sony CDP-C265

DVD Player: Sony DVP-S530D

Turntable: Sharp (To be upgraded to a Rega p3 or equivalent)

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate it!
James

JohnKim

Grip
check out the signature series subs based on adire drivers at www.diycable.com the 18" version should be able to question the structural integrity of your home pretty nicely.... or dual 15"'s

otherwise the svs's should be great

james e m

Second Unit
John,
Thanks for the link, I have never seen that sub before. Pretty impressive. I wonder what type of results I would get from running dual 18" woofers to dual 12" or 15" woofers.
James

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Since you want deep response I would NOT go with the 18" Maelstrom. It's a great driver and really moves some air but It won't be as strong down low (20hz and lower) as dual Tempests or AV15's would.

Also, Kyle is a great guy. I'm willing to bet that the reason he didn't return your email is either because he didn't get it or he didn't get it. :) If I were going to get a sub today, I would probably go with either AV15's or a Tumult (if they ever make it to full production). Both should be able to meet your needs. But what exactly is your budget for this?

Oh, and if I weren't going to build it myself I'd definitely contact either Kyle or Brian Bunge. Just my $.02.

Regards,

Dan Hine

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I would look at running "dual" SVS PB2+'s. You are looking at (4) 12" drivers each receiving close to 450W! Should be really impressive.....and by the way...SVS has all their drivers in stock!:emoji_thumbsup:

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I've emailed Tom @ SVS and he suggested dual 20-39PC+ subs, but that was before the PB2+ was out. Would dual PB2+ be the best option? Can these play low? What about when the Ultra PC is released?

TommyL

Supporting Actor
James...if you are thinking dual anything...wait, and take a look at the B4+ from SVS...I own one, and I can't tell you how frickin kick ass it is....accurate as all heck...spl's into the 120's without huffing and puffing...and accurate..did I mention that? look into it...it kicks! tom

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
James IMO you would be doing yourself a big favor by going with SVS. Yes Velodyne is a very good sub and I have good thoughts to-wards Velodyne. They have stepped up to the plate and helped me out in the past and their subs perform very well. ( Darn good sub ) In saying this I would be doing you a disservice by not telling you that SVS is all that Velodyne is except less $$ out of pocket for the same performance and more. If you bring a $3000 budget onto the table?? Trust me the B4 and other SVS options will far surpass for the $$$ what Velodyne can offer you. Let me say> " I used to be biased to-wards Velodyne but my perspective has changed after trying out SVS ". Just one users opinion for what it is worth?? Yes Velodyne is a great product but there is a better option imo. YGM

james e m

Second Unit
Thanks for all the information guys!!! My budget would be for $3,000 if I bought 2 seperate subs and purchased them maybe about a year apart. So realistly I don't have $3000 to spend at once. I should state that I would love to spend less than that amount. To his credit Kyle emailed me back with so options I should check out, so that was helpful.

Tom V. When I emailed you the information a couple months ago I told you I had about $2,000 to spend. You'll proably be getting annother email from me soon enough.

Keep the advice coming, any pointers about what would work best for my room would be appreciated!

Does anybody know if there are any other new subs coming out? New SVS? More Tumult based subs?

Thanks!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
James I followed up to your mail. There will always be something new up and coming. One thing to consider if you are always wanting to be on the cutting edge?? > SVS subs hold there value better than any other sub I have ever noticed. ( Real Deal Meal ):emoji_thumbsup:

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Since this house is new construction, have you investigated an infinite baffle sub? If you don't mind some construction then this may be your best bang/buck option.

FWIW, I run a sub that is similar is design to Acoustic Vision's Everest (my drivers have slightly less performance). This system handles ref. level on even the hardest material w/o audible problems. You could get the sub and a QSC amp for right around $3k. Musicality is excellent.

One other thing, if you want to "feel the bass" like you would in a competition car setup then you'll be disappointed. Cabin gain just tips the performance scales too much. However, you will feel the floor and couch vibrate and your hairs will stand on end...

Ron_L

Second Unit
has anyone heard a servodrive sub? they can put out like 140db @ 30hz or something.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
has anyone heard a servodrive sub? they can put out like 140db @ 30hz or something.
They are also big, not attractive and cost much more than $3000. ;)

Greg has a good idea with suggesting an IB sub. Great performance and it would save you some floor space. You can find out more about them here.

james e m

Second Unit
Thanks for the advice guys! I have been looking at the IB as an option, but I don't think that would work out for me.

I'm excited about the news about the new PB2 Ultra. Would that sub be able to perform at reference level when playing crazy low bass (like around 10-15 hz) in my room?

I've also thinking about going with 2 Tumult based subs, but so far all the ones I've seen are out of my $2000 budget. The ones that Acoustic Visions are making seem pretty sweet, but I don't think I can afford 2 of their subs. :frowning:

Any other advice is greatly appreciated!
James

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I've also thinking about going with 2 Tumult based subs, but so far all the ones I've seen are out of my $2000 budget. The ones that Acoustic Visions are making seem pretty sweet, but I don't think I can afford 2 of their subs.
Any particular reason why you think you would need two of them? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks