Help Me Find a Stereo Preamp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Burzynski, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

I need a basic one, all I'm interested in is having a volume control for a stereo signal. Even if it's basic Pro Audio gear - anything.

Cheap (less than $100) is the goal.

Thanks.

Rich B.

2. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Richard,

Although it is more than you were looking to spend, I have a BRYSTON .5B Preamp for $279

This thing is one of the best especially a that price. A "straight wire with gain".

Might be interested in a trade plus some cash or whatever.

If that helps.

John A. Casler

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

If you're inclined towards DIY, go to www.bottlehead.com and check out the Foreplay tubed preamp. $150, incredibly easy to build, and beats many line stages costing thousands of dollars. I can say that it completely stomped all over the preamp section of my NAD C-340 integrated amp. Most importantly, you get the fun and satisfaction of having built it yourself.

4. Nathan Hamstra

You are definitely going to be looking at used equipment then (check out audiogon or ebay). Your best bet would be something solid and boring like an adcom, rotel, parasound, or bryston, though that price point may be hard to hit with those brands. The Bryston for sale above will most likely last longer than you will.

After skimming ebay for a short while, to hit your price point, you may need to look at older stuff from companies like luxman, carver, or hafler. Or you can have some fun and pick up something like an old Dynaco PAS-3 or something.

Sorry for way more info than you need, but I love shopping for used audio equipment.

edit: I considered mentioning the bottlehead kit myself, but I wasn't sure how tech-inclined you were. If I were to replace my boring adcom preamp (actually, probably very similar to what you are looking for), it would be with the bottlehead unit.-