What's new

help me find a receiver/integrated for my planned 2.1 system (1 Viewer)

aroon

Auditioning
hey guys, im in the process of building a 2.1 system for mostly music listening (90%). im pretty much have my heart set on the CBM-170 SEs from Ascend Acoustics for my mains and im still trying to decide between the SVS PB10-NSD and the HSU STF-1 for my sub. The issue there being which one is more appropriate for music given my small room (a little over 1500 cu ft).

but my real questions, as the title so suggests, is which receiver/integrated to go with. i dont feel like i really need a tuner but wouldn't mind one so im open to both receivers and integrateds; whichever happens to offer the best performance for my somewhat limited buck. id like to spend less than 300 on a receiver and right now im considering the harmon kardon hk3480. im also open to used/demo gear as long as it has some kind of gaurantee/waranty/return policy with it (ie. im not a big fan of spending this much money on indie ebay auctions) im also ok with getting a surround amp (5-7.1) and just using it as 2.1. in fact, i may prefer that in case i ever migrate this system to movie watching and surround sound and also i hear most 2 channel recievers dont have any bass management which could be problematic.

any thoughts on the hk3480? any other suggestions?

thanks in advance =D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
STF-1 is definitely going to be more musical, and if you aren't looking for serious extension, it would be the better choice IMO. I've owned the PB-10 and the VTF-2 (at the same time) and the VTF-2 had a slight edge when it came to music IMHO. If you're looking at the STF-1, do yourself a favor and check out the Onyx X-sub.

The 3480 is great, but while it does have a sub pre-out, there is no bass management so you have to manually dial in the blend between the sub and the mains. Not a huge deal, but something you should know. Other than the Outlaw RR2150 mentioned by Lance, I don't think there are any other stereo receivers on the market that have bass management.

The 170s are a good choice.

Skip fleaBay. Check www.audiogon.com

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I'd concur about Audiogon vs. E-Bay. Sometimes you also can have good luck with craigslist.com.

aroon

Auditioning
ive been keeping my eyes open on audiogon but it seems like most of the stuff posted on there is way out of my price range.

sounds like the hk3480 might be the one to take home. the quality seems to be good, the price is right and it sounds like on my budget im not going to get a receiver with bass management (that beautiful outlaw is too expensive unfortunately) so i'll just have to deal.

thanks for the sub suggestion john, i'll check that out. from all the review and response im getting i think the SVS line of subs are out. i was actually looking at the VTF-2 MKII as well. i do listen to some electronic music and i feel like those could gain a lot from the filled in super lows (sub 30hz). did you think the vtf-2 was awesome or just ok? have you heard the onyx you suggested?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The VTF-2 wasn't enough for my large room (19x20, high vaulted celings, open to kitchen) when I fed it with deep stuff. The PB-10 was better, in that it didn't struggle at all with the lowest stuff (I measured good output down to 16Hz), but it still wasn't quite enough for my room size, so I moved up again... Both are awsome for 10" subs though, without question.

I have not heard the X-sub, but it has gotten nothing but great reviews and it has a great price. I have heard their some of their other speakers and they are quality products. Basically, you can almost get 2 of them for the price of a PB-10 or VTF-2. Performance wise, it should be on par with the HSU STF-1.

BruceD

Screenwriter
I would check out the Harmon Kardon factory authorized site on ebay!!! HK site

I just purchased an HK 240 AVR from them (refurbished but with NEW warranty) for $224.
It will replace an old Panasonic SH-500 DD/DTS prepro. I will use the new HK primarily as a prepro, but will probably use some of the receiver's amp channles for surround or back channel amplification. I have a Parasound 5 channel amp for most of the amplification needs.

This is a current model 7.1 receiver with bass mgt. I think you will get the most bang for your dollar there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks