What's new

Help me find a pre/pro (1 Viewer)

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I am hoping some of you can point me to candidates for an upgrade. I am using a Denon AVR-3200 as a pre/pro right now with a 150WPC Adcom amp. But, the Denon only has pre outs for the mains and center so I am only using 3 of the 5 channels on the Adcom. There is also some hiss in the rears that I am hoping to get rid of.

I am looking for the following features:

DD (THX) EX, DTS-ES, HD Component Switching, Analog Pass Through, Variable Crossover

I am not even sure if this animal exists. I have been keeping an eye on Outlaw and B&K but neither seems to exist with all the features I want. I would be hesitant to jump into the Reference 30 and expect an upgrade.

I would be using it for about 50/50 music and HT. My system consists of:

TV: 32" Sony Wega XBR 250

DVD Player: Sony 7700

Receiver: Denon 3200

Amp: Adcom GFA-7500

Mains: Vienna Acoustics Mozarts

Center: VA Maestro

Rears: VA Haydns

Sub: Sunfire True Sub Mk II

I generally use the 7700 as a CD player since my old Denon changer is on its last legs. I know that I wont be able to use all the features right now (HD, Analog Pass Through, EX/ES) but I'm keeping an eye on the future. Lex or Proceed is probably out of the budget.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If you MUST have THX post-processing (not necessary IMHO) then the Outlaw Model 950 may not be the one for you.

However, if you can leave out the THX part then the Model 950 will have fully licensed Dolby Digital EX (normally only in THX certified products) and DTS-ES (discrete and matrix flavors). Plus it will have all current forms of ProLogic II, component video switching, proprietary re-EQ, and adjustable bass x-overs (40, 60, 80, 120 Hz) for each speaker group (not a global setting). Plus gold plated jacks, remote triggers, analog pass-through, etc.

I'm willing to wait to see how it turns out.

Dan

Doug_B

Screenwriter
You may want to check out the Anthem AVM 20 to see whether its feature set suits your needs, assuming the Outlaw is a near-term no-show. $3200 list. Sonic Frontiers
Doug

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
Dan - the Outlaw is SO tempting but the 950 still seems to be pretty elusive. The price keeps me hoping, the feature list is almost perfect, but will we see it released any time soon? I don't know. Outlaw is so new...can I trust them. Yeah their new receiver is award-winning now, but still, I wonder.

Doug - the Anthem is gorgeous! What's their track record for providing updates?

Anybody running the AVM 2 or the AVM 20 on the forum?

Are there any others I should check into?

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Kevin T

Screenwriter
christian:

anthem has a pretty good track record for providing software updates from what i've seen. if analog-pass thru is important, i'd skip the avm-2 and look at the avm-20. the avm-2 only has pass thru on it's 5.1 inputs. i may be incorrect but i'm pretty certain. owners of the avm-2 please correct and/or elaborate. the avm-20 allows pass-thru on all inputs. i'd really love to get the avm-20 but the $3200 price tag puts on the brakes. i'm definitely interested in the 950 for $900 but if i could find a deal on it, i'd go as high as $1500-$1800 for the avm-20...good luck to me!

kevin t

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Don't have knowledge of Anthem's track record for updates so can't add to Kevin's observations. DPL II would likely be the first update, if Motorola comes through.

Apparently, Analog Passthrough (called Analog Direct in AVM 20) can be applied to any analog input. Note that you can choose Analog DSP as well for these inputs, including the 5.1 inputs, so that bass mgmt and other functions in the digital domain can be applied. The AVM 20 allows for xover freq selection in 10 Hz increments between 40 and 160 Hz, although only one setting applies to all channels.

I know a dealer in an adjacent state who'll give me > 20% off the unit. I'll be auditioning it next week. This is currently plan B if Outlaw has another delay on 950. I would think it would be fairly difficult to get the unit for $1500-$1800 in the near future; dealer demos and the used market won't be available for a while.

Doug

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Very pretty, yes indeed....!
And it's abilitys AVM-20 outstanding.
Those of you with far more experience in the seprates arena, might you have some imput on my amp match up with this piece if I were to bite the bullet might you say.
I have 3 ~ SAE A-502s that Ive been running but just recently decied to try something. I also have 3 ~ 2285B Marantz Recievers. As you know these have pass threw on the pre stages, buy passing everything. So I put them in line in place of the SAE's and was very pleased with sound. Much more laid back and most noteable in the higher freqs. Im no reviewer so please forgive my ignorence in discription. My week link by all means is the Digital Processer, Yamaha DDP-2. Though it's served me well, thier is certainly no comparision to AVM-20.
This my question, do you think the Anthem would be a good match for Marantz's or possibly the SAE's. This would be an astouding up grade certainly to my currant set up for sure. But my knowledge in high end stuff is very limited to put it mildly.
Im also looking to a major up grade in speaks, looking into the Swans Divas 5.1s or 6.1's, C-3 centers & dual SVS's But thats a whole nother thread...
Lets stay with the Anthem discussion. It looks to just be an incrediable unit.So much control, and upgradeable. Feel free to straighten me out on some things or offer suggestions of things to consider while upgradeing. I am looking to pick up another 2285B also. Would have 8 channels to play with then. ~{classic Marantz, beautiful and underated}~ They keep right up with the 502's power wise and they, (the 502's) are rated at 200 very clean watts a channel into 8 ohms, and are 2ohm stable. 600 at 2ohms.
Just would like some input from you guys with so much more experience in the high end arena.
Thanks
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks