What's new

Help me find a DVD rewinder (1 Viewer)

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I'm assuming by artwork upright he meant actually having the artwork nice and centered, not spun a little bit to the side by the disc being turned. I do that!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Talking about anal. I do that too - but I also fold new keepcases open (more than 180 degrees), to adjust the artwork, e.g. to make the midline really central on the back of the spine.
Yeah...

BTW:
Windows NT, of course is nothing but "Windows New Technology"
The crew Microsoft hired for developing WNT were people who formerly developed Digital Equipment's VMS (Virtual Memory System), one of the best brick-wall protected multi-task and multi-user operating systems in the world.

They enjoyed choosing WNT, because it's HAL's trick (2001): VMS -> WNT if you add 1 to the position of each of those letters in the alphabet.

Cees

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
A diner I go to has a menu that lists many items as coming "with au jus sauce", which translates to "with with sauce sauce". :)

Neil

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
They enjoyed choosing WNT, because it's HAL's trick (2001)
Of course, Arthur C. Clarke has categorically denied the "HAL > IBM" connection for the past 35 years. He says HAL derives from Heuristically programmed, ALgorithmic computer - the best of both worlds in computing at the time he was writing the novel, and that he wasn't aware of the coincidence of letters and numbers until someone pointed it out to him after the film opened.

Regards,

Joe

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And John Lennon categorically denied that 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' could mean anything else. "Never occurred to me!", he said.

Cees

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yes, but I believe Arthur C. ;) For Lennon, putting on the press was practically an avocation. Clarke has always been a much more straight-forward type.

Regards,

Joe

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I read somewere that What Windows "NT" stood for originally was NOT "New Technology". That was a buzz word added to the product by Marketting after the original concept fell though.

Originally, NT was to be a micro-kernel, portable OS designed to run on a RISC based processor Intel was working on. Eventually the processor fell to the wayside as the new 386 based processors were much faster and more stable then the RISC unit Intel was developing. Thanks to the portability of the NT code at the time, they ported it over to x86 code in a matter of days.

Originally, we were targeting NT to the Intel i860 (code-named 'N-Ten)', a RISC processor that was horribly behind schedule. Because we didn't have any i860 machines in-house to test on, we used an i860 simulator. That's why we called it NT, because it worked on the 'N-Ten.'"
-Mark Lucovsky
Distinguished Engineer
Windows Server Architect

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks