Help me find a 5-disc DVD Player with great AUDIO!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RichP, May 23, 2005.

1. RichP

RichP Second Unit

Hello all,

I just finished installing an-ceiling 5 channel speaker system (using Energy EAS-6C speakers) in my living room that will be used quite extensively for audio -- both 2-channel and multi-channel -- and I'd like to enlist your help in finding me a good 5-disc DVD player that will be used almost exclusively for audio.

The 5 channels of amplification are installed as well as the volume controls... now all I need is a great source component!

To that end, it should be able to play dts out, DVD-Audio and if possible be a nice solid 5-disc changer.

SACD capability is not necessary since the primary CD player is a Sony XA777ES which handles that just fine.

Also, I'd like to keep the price below $400 or so.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

The Sony CX-777ES 400 disc DVD/SACD player would take care of everything, although it's about $500-600 on-line.

Yamaha still makes a good 5-disc changer I think.

3. RichP

RichP Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Sony will not play DVD-Audio, which is a requirement for me.

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

The Yamaha DVD-C750 (aka DV-C6770) has gotten very good reviews for its DVD-A/SACD performance. Ray Atkins at Audioholics raved about the 750's Redbook CD performance in his review.

It's also a pretty decent video player and runs from $280 to $330, depending on where you buy it. The major downside seems to be a slow change from one disk to the next, on the order of 15-20 seconds.